Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 7740

Even though the spec sheet for the HP Office Jet Pro 7740 that I own say it works with paper weights from 34 to 250gsm I've found that trying to print on 250gsm actually jams it. I've set all the paper size, type and weight both on the printer itself and the print window on my Mac, but it still won't print. It says paper gets jammed (although it's a fake jam as it won't even take it from the tray). Very disappointed because it doesn't work as advertised.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @rodrigoruiz1988 

Hi @Dragon-Fur 

I am absolutely surprised to read this information in the user manual:

Andr1611_0-1715627979646.png

I could not find this info in the HP Store nor in the Product Content Browser. 😎

Different paper types can be set in the printer properties:

Andr1611_1-1715628901698.png

Hochglanz/Präsentation (de) - High gloss/presentation (en): 220g

This is the maximum for a Laserjet M277 (only as an example).

@rodrigoruiz1988 @ wrote

Does this printer by chance have a way to manual/straight feed the paper? I don't see any way of doing that and perhaps that would be a solution... Not sure.

No, there is not.

Have you tried Input tray / Tray2  ?
I suspect that the card or cardboard is bent less here.

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Or click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @rodrigoruiz1988,

This printer can only process a maximum of 105 g/m²!

Here is the Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer (G5J38A) 

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

If my post resolved your problem please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Or click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

HP Recommended

Hi Andr-1611!

That's a broken link you sent. I have attached a screenshot directly from the  PDF of specifications downloaded straight from the HP websites for you to look at. It very clearly says it handles 34 to 250 gsm paper. (This is page 2 of the specs.)Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 13.37.40.png

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur!

Well, as you say, that's not specified by the spec sheet, which is not good from HP because you expect that document to be your buying guide for your particular needs. I'm not trying to print photo paper, by the way. I'm trying to print on cardstock paper that's 250gsm for a cover for my music scores. Needless to say I'm very disappointed to learn about this shortcoming/misinformation from HP. Does this printer by chance have a way to manual/straight feed the paper? I don't see any way of doing that and perhaps that would be a solution... Not sure.

HP Recommended

Hi @rodrigoruiz1988 

Hi @Dragon-Fur 

I am absolutely surprised to read this information in the user manual:

Andr1611_0-1715627979646.png

I could not find this info in the HP Store nor in the Product Content Browser. 😎

Different paper types can be set in the printer properties:

Andr1611_1-1715628901698.png

Hochglanz/Präsentation (de) - High gloss/presentation (en): 220g

This is the maximum for a Laserjet M277 (only as an example).

@rodrigoruiz1988 @ wrote

Does this printer by chance have a way to manual/straight feed the paper? I don't see any way of doing that and perhaps that would be a solution... Not sure.

No, there is not.

Have you tried Input tray / Tray2  ?
I suspect that the card or cardboard is bent less here.

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

HP Recommended

Hi @andr-1611 and @Dragon-Fur! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my original post and my replies after that. You have confirmed my growing suspicions that this printer cannot in fact handle the paper I need it to handle. With this information being buried in the User Manual, God knows where, you can probably understand my frustration with HP about how they handle their specs for their printers and products. Anyways, thanks! And hope you both have a great day.

HP Recommended

Hi @rodrigoruiz1988,

Thank you for your feedback.
I hope you have a great day too.

With kind regards

Andr-1611

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.