Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710

I am trying to print on cardstock paper but it will not work. I have followed the directions from answers given by the community and nothing is helping. I have adjusted the paper size on my computer and on the printer. The paper will feed through the printer but it makes a loud, screetching noise. After that the printer just feeds the paper through with ink marks on the bottom side of the page. I am using 110lb paper. I even tried printing on a normal piece of paper and it printed just fine. Why can I not print on cardstock?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi! @EastBullitt, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues printing cardstock from your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

What is the weight and size of the card stock you are using on your printer?

Have you tried printing using a different brand paper?

Have you tried printing using a different application?

Please share the operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

I have checked the printer specifications, please find the supported card by your printer.

Your printer can support a Standard input capacity (cards) Up to 50 cards.

Also, the media weight supported by your printer is 

Up to 200 g/m2 (110 lb index)

Try the steps recommended below.

• Go to Control panel – Devices and Printers.
  • Right-Click on the Officejet 8710 and select Printing Preferences.
  • Go to Paper / Quality tab change your paper type to "Cardstock" under media.
  • Also, if you are printing with Microsoft office / MS Word/ or any other program, make sure the media or paper type is also selected to the cardstock as well.

Please find the list of cardstock supported by your printer listed below.

Also, uninstall the printer software from the root level and install the full feature printer software on your PC. (Windows Only)

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features. 
Select your HP printer. 
Select Uninstall. 
In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers. 
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.” 
Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo. 
Type printui.exe /s and click OK. 
Click on Drivers tab. 
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom. 
Select OK. 
Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows. 
Close Devices and Printers. 

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I spent 5 hours on the phone , on two separate days, last month going through all the steps you describe with no success.  The techs blamed my problem on the greeting card program I use, despite the fact that the card stock paper jams even when I try to use it with MS Word.    There's something wrong with the printer.    I am really unhappy about this.  I bought this printer because it was supposed to accept card stock.   It worked for a few months and then stopped accepting card stock.  The paper jams in the rollers at the back of the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.