Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an officejet 6100 e printer.  This is not an all in one printer.  It worked fine for a few months.  Now it continues to run.

That is, the ink cartridges continue to cycle back and forth.  I am unable to print anything, because the cradle never stops runniing.  I have to unplug it or it will run forever.  I let it run for 1/2 hour to see if it would stop.  But it never did.

I have probably prited about 15 or 20 pages and had to buy new HP ink cartridges, so I hate to throw it away and waste 50 bucks worth or cartridges.

Any suggestions

I am running Windows 7 on a Dell laptop.

Thanks,

Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the printer. 

See if you can unplug the USB cable from the back.

Hold down the (X) button and unplug the power cord from the back. Plug the power cord back in, while continuing to hold down the (X) red button. 

Let me know if it stops. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the printer. 

See if you can unplug the USB cable from the back.

Hold down the (X) button and unplug the power cord from the back. Plug the power cord back in, while continuing to hold down the (X) red button. 

Let me know if it stops. 

Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

WOW!! Thanks Rudy.  I am really stoked.  This started months ago and I just turned it off.  Then I would come back to it and same thing.  Yesterday, I was ready to disgard the printer. 

Thanks again.  I printed a page, and it stopped when it was finished.

Ken

HP Recommended

I am very glad to hear everything is working great for you. If you happen to run into any problems or have questions, feel free to ask. 

HP Recommended

To Rudy1906 - Thank you so much for posting this solution!  I signed up for HP online just to be able to thank you. Your solution repaired my non-cummunicating HP6100 printer. 

Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Rudy,

Spot on again.  I was ready to change printers and found your solution on line.  You da man.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're my today's hero! 

Ran into  the same' toothbrushing endless loop' issue on my deskjet 7110  and  couldn't find a way to stop it.  The thing had completely become uncontrollable. Just unplugging/replugging (HP support advice) the power didn't help at all.

I was on the verge of discarding it... 

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I used Rudy1906 remedy and it solved my problem : unplug USB Cable and with printer turned on - hold down the red X button while unplugging the printer and continue to hold the red X button down while plugging the power cord back into the printer. My printer did not start up on it's own after letting off of the red X button - so I pushed the start button on the printer and it came right on and worked Great.

Thank You Rudy 1906.

I was ready to throw this printer away - my problem started after a paper jam - I cleared the jam - but the carriage kept on cycling - forever.

Works Great Now !

Jimas1 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.