Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

For the HP EXPERTS on Expert Day, April 18, 2012:

B.L.A.T. (Bottom Line At Top):  We have an HP Officejet 6500A Plus purchased about 5 months ago.  We wanted to use it as a wireless-connected printer in another room besides our home office.  It is useless to us because it will not maintain its wireless connection, even sitting just a few feet from the router in the same room.  Except for numerous hours of troubleshooting, we have left it sitting powered up, but unused and idle, for almost the entire 5 months in our home office.  DURING ALL THAT IDLE TIME, IT HAS LOGGED OVER 3,200 DISCONNECTS, at a consistent rate of 24 disconnects every 24 hours, even though it ALWAYS reports that the wireless signal quality is “EXCELLENT” (all this is according to the Wireless Network Test Reports we’ve printed throughout the last 5 months).  So our question is, what is it that this printer is trying to do once an hour over a wireless connection that is causing these thousands of disconnects?  And how can we stop it?

NOTE!  Before you round up the usual suspects (namely our router and our PC firewalls) please note that we also bought an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus ON THE SAME DAY as the Officejet 6500A Plus.  The 8600 was also installed with a wireless connection, and has worked without a single network issue for the entire 5 months.

NOW, FOR THE REST OF THE STORY…

WHO WE ARE:  My wife and I have worked on HP equipment for 33 years, starting in 1979 as corporate customers of HP when we worked for Exxon; then we both worked for HP directly for 17 years; and we’ve now used dozens of pieces of HP equipment in our home during the last 12 years in retirement.  We’re primarily software folks, so we’re not exactly experts in hardware and networking, but on the other hand, this ain’t our first rodeo either.

OUR CONFIGURATION: 

PC’s – All running Windows 7 x64 with all important patches applied and Norton Internet Security 2012:  HPE-270f and HP AIO 200-Quad, each with full 6500A and 8600A drivers installed on wireless connection.  These 2 PC’s themselves can connect either wirelessly or via Ethernet to our home network.  The 270f has a dual-band wireless board.  Both bands work.  We also have a new dv7t laptop with only the full 6500A driver installed via wireless connection.  The laptop is now upstairs and it’s connected to our home network wirelessly without any issues.  (This is where we had hoped to also put the 6500A, but it needs to work reliably via wireless connection.)

ROUTER:  Netgear N600 WNDR3700 providing Ethernet and wireless networking.  Router provides a very strong wireless signal throughout the house.  No wireless problems with any other equipment including an iPod, two Kindle Fires besides all the HP equipment.

PRINTERS:  Besides the two HP printers, the HPE-270f PC has a Canon MP960 installed on it.  And if we can’t get the 6500A working right or replaced with something that does work right, we may be buying our second Canon printer.  By the way, on the 6500A, ePrint and App’s are set to ON, but of course they’re not being used, just like everything else on this AIO.

OTHER:  We also have a Sonos music system that connects to our network via Ethernet and has its own proprietary mesh network (on another frequency) for transmitting ripped music wirelessly to speaker units throughout our house.  (If you aren’t familiar with this totally cool system, check out sonos.com).  We’ve never seen any evidence of interference between these two wireless networks, or our wireless phone sets either.

HP TOOLS AVAILABLE ON ALL 3 PC’s:  HPU

UPDATE 5.003.001.001 (reporting everything up-to-date); HPHDU 3.1.0.17; HPPDU 5.0.0.015 and HPNDU 4.3.0.002. 

SYMPTOMS:  The 6500A Plus installs quickly and easliy, and connects wirelessly just fine during installation.  But sometime over the next hour (usually less), it disconnects and won’t print from PC applications.  Sometimes the application puts up an “Unable to communicate with printer” screen, even though the PC usually thinks the printer is “ready”.  Other times, the PC thinks the printer is offline (but printers don’t have “offline” buttons anymore!).  Often, if you just leave everything alone, the 6500A will somehow reconnect and print out the spooled file 5-30 MINUTES later.  So it does usually seem to be able to recover given some time, but that doesn’t always fit our schedule!   Occasionally, turning the wireless radio on the printer off and back on will fix it right away.  But usually, you have to power the printer completely off, and then back on.  As far as we know, that always fixes it…..until the next disconnect a few minutes later!

PREVIOUSLY TRIED:  After reading some of HP’s wireless network support websites, I manually assigned a fixed IP address to this printer.  It didn’t seem to matter; according to the wireless network test report, it still logs disconnects at the rate of one per hour, and all the failure symptoms were the same.

We also dabbled a bit with setting this printer as “trusted” to the Firewall, but that didn’t seem to matter either.

Next, we connected the printer via Ethernet.  The printer immediately started to work, even though it had just been in its “failed” state over the wireless connection.  As far as we know, it never failed while connected via Ethernet.  This seems to point to a purely wireless hardware/firmware problem on the printer itself.

Late last year, I tried two different chat sessions about this with the inter-continental AIO support teams, each one lasting several hours.  Unfortunately, none of their optimistic solution scripts seemed to fit our problem.  They both seemed determined to reconfigure the 6500A as a TCP/IP printer, which of course worked fine initially, just like everything else.  At this point, they would understandably want to close the chat.  But 20-30 minutes later, we could no longer print to it.  During the second chat, they got into one of our PC’s remotely and effectively turned off the spooler (by selecting “Print Directly” or something like that).  After that, all was well again (as usual) UNTIL the printer disconnected, at which time attempting to print from that PC would HANG the application (since the spooler was no longer buffering) and eventually hang the whole PC.  One giant leap backwards.  That’s when I gave up on the multi-hour chat sessions.

The three diagnostic utilities (HDU, PDU, NDU) have been tried over and over.  When the printer is in its disconnected state, the DU’s usually don’t detect the 6500A at all, or if they do detect it, they are unable to fix anything.  Frankly, it’s easier to just power the printer off (which takes about a minute) and power the printer back on (which takes more than a minute) and then wait for the spooler to kick in (usually about 30 seconds).  BUT WE DON’T CONSIDER THAT A SOLUTION!!

B.L.A.B.  (Bottom Line At Bottom):  We have used up nearly the entire black ink cartridge and at least a ream of paper troubleshooting this brand new printer, to no avail.  This printer is useless to us unless it can maintain a wireless connection reliably.  Please help!

Thanks –

Bob and Jane

(Note: we have an appointment from about 11:20 am EDT – 1 pm EDT, 8:20 am PDT till about 10 am PDT)

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended
We're so sorry to hear about your situation. If the printer is still under warranty, perhaps you can call for an exchange?

From the description, it seems to be a HW issue. Good luck!
I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
HP Recommended
I bought the Officejet 6500A Plus about one month and have experienced the very same problem. I tried to remedy this problem following suggestions in a number of different posts (static IP, router, firewalls etc), all to no avail. Last week I called support. The support I received by the tech over several hours and different days for a week was very good. However none of his suggestions corrected the connection issue. After today's recommended fix failed, he advised HP is aware of this issue with the 6500 and other affected printers. He claimed HP was working on a firmware upgrade. He did not know when the update would be provided. The tech also claimed HP acknowledged this problem in a written announcement. He agreed to email the announcement to me. I haven't received it. This has been the only problem I've had with the 6500
HP Recommended
dmtex - Thanks for sharing your 6500A Plus wireless saga with us. Sounds just like ours. I hope HP gets that firmware upgrade done pretty soon because in the meantime, a lot of HP tech and customer time is being wasted chasing other solutions that won't help! We'll be watching for that firmware update on the support page. Bet you will be too!
HP Recommended
Hi HP Greenturtle - Thanks for your reply. Please take a look at the other response to this post by username dmtex. If this is an acknowledged firmware problem for this and other affected printer models, exchanging the hardware isn't going to help. Please find out when the firmware upgrade is expected to be ready for the 6500A Plus for this known wireless problem and post back here. Thanks!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try out some possible solutions here

When you look at the properties of the printer in the printers folder and you see that Windows has marked it “offline”, this has been a problem for as long as I can remember. I am not aware of it being product specific nor have I thought of it as having anything to do with the connectivity of the printer, but I don’t understand why it happens. If it happens again, all that is required is to mark the printer online again in windows. The fact that just marking it online corrects the problem has made me think it is a software issue, specifically a Windows issue. My guess is as good as yours!

Or

Right click on (Network)Printer , choose Properties , go to Ports tab, choose Configure Port , then un-check SNMP Status Enable option,

Read on the web that this works.

Let us know if that works!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
HP Recommended
Thanks Greenturtle - I'll be out of town the next two days, but I'll check out these possible solutions when I return and get back to you. Stay tuned...
HP Recommended

Hi BnJnPnS,

Can you please check on the router if both wireless 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz is enabled?

Please login to the wireless router to check.

You are refer to the manual in the link below for the steps :-

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNDR3700_UM_16OCT2009.pdf

Could you please try to disable wireless 5Ghz router radio temporary on the router and try to see if the issue persist?

There is also a new firmware release for this printer that has some fixes on that may help your wireless connection issue

1. Connect to the printer to the router using Ethernet cable.

2. At the control panel, go to Setup >> Web Services  Setup >> Product Updates

3. The firmware would be downloaded and flashed to the printer.

Thank you.

I am an HP employee

**** Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution" ****
HP Recommended

When I experience the intermittant failure to print, the printer has always shown as "Ready" in the application, such as MS Word.  But once it fails to print right away, and I know the problem has recurred, then when I look at the windows folder for the printer, it is marked "Error" with a triangle and exclamation mark. Selecting "Troubleshoot" does no good.  If I then look into the "See What's Printing" function, it says "Error - Offline - Printing" for that spool file.  But there isn't any choice to put the printer back online.  The only action available seems to be "Restart", and that doesn't seem to fix the problem either.  No matter what I do, including doing NOTHING, eventually whatever is hung up on the printer clears up or times out, and the spool file EVENTUALLY prints out, anywhere from 5 to 20 MINUTES later.

I tried to un-check the SNMP Status Enable option, but could not get to that screen due to an error message.  When I selected "Configure Port" on the "Ports" tab, I got an error message that said:

"An error occured during port configuation.  Operation could not be completed.  (Error 0x0000007b)"

I tried selecting "Configure Port" for the other printer (OJ Pro 8600 Plus), but got the same error message.  I tried restarting the PC, but no difference.

HP Recommended

Hi HP -

Regarding Firmware Update:

I had thought I already had the latest firmware upgrade because it matched what is shown on the product support web-page, namely 2011-07-25 Version CIP1FN1126AR.  However, I took your word for it and powered off the printer, plugged in the Ethernet, powered it back up.  Then I reconnected it to the PC via Ethernet.  When I requested the product update, it DID find one (!), and it appeared to download, install and reboot fine.  I then checked it again for updates, and it said there were none available.  I printed another Printer Status Report and it showed the new firmware version as CIP1FN1206AR.  Why isn't this new firmware upgrade linked into the customer support website for drivers on this printer model ???

Anyway, I thought I might be in high clover, because everything printed fine after the reboot with the new firmware.  However, keeping in mind that this is an intermittant problem, I waited for a while, perhaps 30-45 minutes, and sure enough, when I tried to print the same file again, it didn't print.  Same ol' problem.  I left for lunch, and when I came back, it had finally printed out the file (this is typical).  I tried another print, which "failed" and then I just waited to see what the delay was.  It finally printed out 13 minutes later, and even after the printer woke up and said "Printing", it took a long time to print a single line on a single page, but it eventually did it.  Something in this printer is either correcting itself or timing out, which then allows the problem to clear and go ahead and print the spooled file.

Regarding the 5 Gb wireless band:

I have never logged into my router since the day I installed it, but I did do it to try to figure out how to temporarily turn off the 5 Gb band.  I stumbled my way down to the detailed wireless configuration screen, which had an option labeled "Enable Wireless Radio" for each band (2.4 and 5).  HOWEVER, the box next to each of these options was already UNCHECKED (!).  If I were just looking at this router screen, and not the network, I would have assumed that both bands were inaccessible.  But at the time, there was one PC successfully using each band, no problems.  So I'm not sure what that means, and I'm not enough of a net-tech to try anything else on the router without guidance.  Besides...

PLEASE remember from my original tirade that we have an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus bought the same day as the OJ 6500A Plus.  The 8600 is sitting only about 7 inches away from the dual band router, and has never had any wireless network issues.  The PC using the 5 Gb band is about 8 feet on the other side of the 8600 printer, so all that 5 Gb traffic is literally passing right through the printer and yet there's never been any wireless connection problems with the 8600.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.