Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

First let me tell you what did not work:

Set a static IP address so my router would not reset it

Making sure Printer is directly in the outlet not a power strip

Adding printer as a shared network printer instead of wireless

Allowing my device inbound and outbound traffic through Norton Antivirus

Adding Printer as trusted device in Norton Antivirus

Unblocking/or Allow full trust any and all HP programs or services

The printer only works when first turned on for scanning and printing, then once it goes in energy mode.  It will wake up to print....slowly, but will NOT scan again unless I restart it, been like that for years.

What did work:

Restart my printer every single time I want to scan...ridiculous!!

My final fix, but well WORTH the energy:

Go to your printer settings and turn OFF energy saver mode!!!  My scanning and printing has been working on 8 computers total ALL DAY, no disconnect or unreachable device!!   🙂

How to do it:

From Main Menu on printer, click to the right to show "Setup"

Click Setup

Go down to "preferences", click

Go down to "Energy Saving Mode", click and select "off"

Back to Main menu that's it!!

It's a shame they haven't fixed this bug, but I have had this problem for about 3 years, regardless of updates.  This WORKS!!!  So happy.  Wasted a whole day, but oh well.  And I don't care about the energy, at this point I'd PAY for it to work!!

HP Recommended

After struggling with this problem (printer drops wifi connection when printing), I seem to have stumbled upon a solution;

In the Embedded Web Server, go to the Network tab.  Under Wireless (802.11) there is an Advanced section, and at the bottom of this section (after going through the HTTPS/invalid certificate bit) there is a Compatibility heading.  I selected "In an infrastructure network use 802.11b behaviour".  After applying this the printer dropped the wireless connection completely, and I had to reconnect to the network from the printer control panel.  From then on the printer has completed each print job, if doing so a bit slowly.  I prefer slow to not at all...

I had previously set the printer to a static address, and other users have suggested disabling Energy Saving (I still have Energy Saving enabled).  Hope this helps...

HP Recommended

I have followed the instructions to upgrade the firm ware - It says NO Product Updates

The item is an Office jet 6500A plus.  Its driven me mad with intermittent connection - HP please help - I have put in new drivers - they work for 5 minutes then back to normal.   

This is your last chance - I will go and buy a different make this week if we dont get it going - No the first time with product support on this.  

Very fed up with the sheer waste of my time

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.