Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me with my HP Officejet Pro 8610.

I will try to be as detailed as possible with my information.

- wireless printing works from a windows 10 computer (sometimes)

- wireless does not work with apple products - MacBook Pro, iPad, or iPhone (it has worked in the past, not anymore)

The printers front screen shows it as connected and status is online, however it simply will not work with apple devices, it says it's offline on the MacBook despite the printer itself showing it's connected to my wifi network and also working on my windows device.

If I try to AirPrint from Apple mobile devices such as iPad or iPhone, no printer is not found.

All software is up to date, both the printer and Apple devices. iPad, and iPhone (iOS13) and the MacBook is using El Capitan

I have ran a factory reset on the 8610 printer, and then updated the firmware to the most recent update. But it's still not showing as online on my Apple devices.

This printer has worked in the past but everyday I would have to turn it off, then back on for it to work with my Apple devices. It's like it only works for a day, then I have to restart the printer again. And I see many others in other forum posts having the same problem with this printer.

However, turning off the printer and restarting no longer works. The printer is showing offline on my Apple devices despite the printer itself saying online and connected, and yes all my devices are connected to the same network.

The only way I can get my printer to work on my MacBook is by plugging it in with USB, but that defeats the purpose of paying $300 for a wireless printer. Also, it won't help  fix my iOS devices as they must print via wireless.

Looking forward to your help, thank you

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unlike Windows, Apple devices rely on Bonjour and require your router to allow such multicast traffic.

May you have any network change? e.g. a new router installation, etc.?

I would also suggest to try and restart your router, it may resolve such issues.

Be sure to allow the router several minutes, till the internet connection returns on your PC, then restart the printer too and check for any difference.

If the same persists, please clarify your router brand and model, to better understand its capabilities.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi,

Yes I have restarted my router in the past and sometimes it works, However, not anymore.

Also, I would have to restart the router and/or printer everytime I wanted to print. I wish there was a solution because this is just not practical.

My router is Asus RT-AC1200

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AC1200/HelpDesk_Manual/

HP Recommended

Hi @tom20,

Please try enabling IGMP Snooping in your router, see page 43 of its user guide:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC1200/E15341_RT-AC1200_UM_V5.pdf

Of course, any changes made for your router configuration are at your own risk, I just share my personal knowledge on this matter, I do suggest contacting Asus Support if you need any help or information which is more product specific, these are all related with your network configuration and not much with the printer itself.

If you experience further issues, I would also suggest ensuring that your router firmware is up to date.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

Ok thanks, just enabled it.

Still not working. Printer showing as offline on devices but says online on printer.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi @ShlomiL

HP Recommended

Hi @tom20,

Looking for a new printer will unlIkely resolve such a problem, this is more likely relies with the router.

Please swipe down the top gray bar on the printer and click the Wifi Direct icon ( a printer and mobile device icon), enable the feature and review its password.

Connect with any Apple device to the Wifi Direct printer and check if you may see and printer to the printer then.

Please let me know the results, to better identify the problem source.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

Hi @tom20,

Looking for a new printer will unlIkely resolve such a problem, this is more likely relies with the router.

Please swipe down the top gray bar on the printer and click the Wifi Direct icon ( a printer and mobile device icon), enable the feature and review its password.

Connect with any Apple device to the Wifi Direct printer and check if you may see and printer to the printer then.

Please let me know the results, to better identify the problem source.

Shlomi

Hi Shlomi,

Is it not possible to swipe down on the top gray bar. Swiping down does nothing.

HP Recommended

I'm going to mark this as unresolved.

To others reading this, please ignore any future comments if staff say they reached out to me via private message because I will only reply here if it's solved.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Apologies @tom20, I confused the printer model with a later one and missed your reply too, sorry for the inconvenience!

You should see the Wireless Direct icon on the bottom of the printer front panel, see Figure 13 below:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c04048827

Once enabling this feature and reviewing its security options, can you see any difference once connecting to this network from an apple device?

Please let me know,

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.