Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Envy 5030
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello,

When the Envy 5030 (connected to a Mac mini [with latest OS] via a USB cable - no network) is fully on (i.e. not in sleep mode), I can print and scan normally. However, after going into sleep mode, the printer is unable to wake from sleep when I send a print job (i.e. the computer searches for the printer endlessly). The only "solution" so far has been to unplug/replug the USB cable, or to switch the printer off and on again.

I would like to know if this is a bug or a feature. And if it is a bug, how to fix it.

What I have already tried so far (unsuccessfully, of course):

- reboot printer and computer multiple times

- reset the printing system in System Preferences

- update the printer's firmware

- try to install the driver (HP Easy start) - failed: after selecting the drivers' components to be installed, the install process gets stuck and nothing happens (I tried everything on this page, to no avail)

- try to install the app (HP Smart) - failed as well: it doesn't find the printer (even though I was able to print a document a few seconds earlier!)

- try to switch to wireless instead - failed: the printer doesn't pick up the wifi signal (despite the fact that the router is 1 meter away and sends a strong signal that other devices can pick up easily everywhere in the house)

By the way, I have also tried the virtual agent, which "said":

HP ENVY 5000 All-in-One Printer series

Out of Warranty: Ended on May 18, 2020
For the record, this is a lie. I purchased the printer on 27/07/2019 so the warranty can't possibly expire before one year.
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Davy666

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

I suggest you assign a Manual IP Address

1) Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
2) Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
3) Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
4) Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
5) Click Manual IP
6) If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.
7) If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, on a second try the printer somehow managed to pick up the wifi signal and it now wakes up when printer jobs are sent, so I did not need to assign a manual IP address. The fact though that a wifi connection woks better than a wired connection shows that something is definitely wrong with how the printer is designed.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.

HP Recommended

I'm glad you got this sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.