Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro x476dw MFP
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I am on printer referenced above and I get a notice before every print job that I need to add paper to tray 2 when there is already paper in tray 2.  Also when it finally prints when I clear the error message it always spits out a blank piece of paper before the printed piece.  I have checked the utility to make sure it is set to plain paper in tray 2.  I have tighened the size adjusters in the tray but the problem persists.  I am on a Mac OS 11.2.3 and am up to date on software.  What else can I do?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Over 90% of these errors are caused by a print job and printer setting mismatch. For instance, the program you are trying to print with, say Adobe Reader is trying to print the job on executive size paper but your printer tray 2 is set for letter. The printer will pause and prompt for paper. This is common on Adobe as there is a setting in the print utility that to print the job based on the settings of the document, which might be different than your settings. For instance, PDF files created in Europe are often A4 in size and will cause the stop error when you try to print the document in the US where standard setting is typically letter. 

If you are making copies does it work OK? There is always the possibility that the pickup roller is worn and is not grabbing the paper. Do you hear normal printing noises before the error or does the printer go straight to the error when you press print?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Yes it happens on copies so I would think not a mismatch in settings.  Also, every time, I hit the print button, it spits out a blank piece of paper then I get the no paper error message.  I hit the ok button on the printer, then it prints out the copy.  So, if it was the roller, why would it always print the copy/print after I hit the ok button.  This happens every time.  It always prints but not until it first gives me the no paper message and I hit the ok button.  Very odd.  I checked to see if I need a software or firmware update, but there is nothing in the HP Utility that checks for this unless it is buried somewhere.  

HP Recommended

Yes it happens on copies so I would think not a mismatch in settings.  Also, every time, I hit the print button, it spits out a blank piece of paper then I get the no paper error message.  I hit the ok button on the printer, then it prints out the copy.  So, if it was the roller, why would it always print the copy/print after I hit the ok button.  This happens every time.  It always prints but not until it first gives me the no paper message and I hit the ok button.  Very odd.  I have located and downloaded the latest print drivers so everything is UTD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.