Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

LaserJet MFP 234dw can not start with error code 'rd'. Can not connect printer with USB cable too. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @daniellu,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

The error code "rd" on an HP LaserJet MFP 234dw typically indicates a hardware issue. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem.

• Power Cycle: Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on again. Sometimes, a simple power cycle can resolve temporary issues.
  • Check Connections: Ensure that all cables, including the power cable and USB cable (if you're using one), are securely connected to the printer and the power source.
  • USB Port: If you're trying to connect via USB and it's not working, try using a different USB port on your computer. Also, make sure the USB cable is not damaged.
  • Restart Computer: Sometimes, the issue might be with the computer rather than the printer. Try restarting your computer and then attempting to connect to the printer again.
  • Firmware Update: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and bugs.
  • Reset Printer: If none of the above steps work, you may need to perform a factory reset on your printer. 

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden4,

I tried all the ways you mentioned. I checked the usb cable worked well it can connect my canon printer to my PC.

Do you know how to do factory reset?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @daniellu,

Thank you for your response, 

Performing a factory reset on an HP LaserJet MFP 234dw can vary slightly depending on the model and firmware version, but generally, you can try the following steps.

• Access the Control Panel: On the printer's control panel, navigate to the settings menu. This is typically accessed by pressing the "Setup" or "Menu" button.
  • Navigate to Reset Options: Within the settings menu, look for an option related to resetting or restoring factory defaults. This might be labeled as "Restore Defaults," "Reset All Settings," or something similar.
  • Confirm the Reset: Once you've found the reset option, the printer will likely prompt you to confirm that you want to proceed with the reset. Confirm the action to initiate the factory reset process.
  • Wait for the Reset: The printer will now reset itself to its factory default settings. This process may take a few minutes.
  • Printer Reboot: After the reset is complete, the printer will reboot automatically. Once it has finished rebooting, it should be restored to its factory default settings.

If you can't find the factory reset option in the printer's menu, you may need to consult the printer's user manual or visit HP's support website for specific instructions for your model and firmware version. 

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden4,

Thanks for your reply!

I have contacted with HP support. They checked the error and confirmed that it's caused by hardware malfunction. HP support will replace my current printer.

Thanks!

Daniel

HP Recommended

Hi @daniellu,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.