Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

My printer suddenly lost its wifi connection. It is the only wireless device connected to my network to do so.

Went through the Wireless Setup Wizard to reestablish the connection. Wizard tells me I'm entering an invalid wireless password, which is not true. (I confirmed all other devices connected to the network are using the same password.)

Reset the router (Technicolor from Time Warner). Reset the printer. Did the 'Restore Network Default' thing. No luck.

Zero has changed since yesterday, when my printer was working fine. I've been using the same router for months, never changing any settings. Any thoughts on what the issue may be? Did a bad update happen?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Apologies for the late response. I managed to get this issue resolved over the phone with customer support.

The security mode on the router needed to be changed to WEP 64 for the wireless connection to be reestablished. According to HP Support, this is a common problem with Technicolor routers. There was no explanation as to why the printer suddenly lost the ability to connect wirelessly when security was set to WPA2-PSK. The network had been configured that way for over a year.

I almost resolved this issue on my own (I had read about changing the security in a different post), but ran into a hiccup because of Safari. For some reason, Safari prevented access to a menu page for my router's security settings. You can imagine how annoying it was to watch HP Support use Firefox to access the router and make one more mouse click then I had to make the change. So, if you need to make this change, be sure not to use Safari when accessing your Technicolor router's gateway. Use Chrome or Firefox.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Edo123, 

I am using HP Officejet Pro 8620 at home and I am using Macbook too. Hope I can be of help. 

Have you tried to power cycle the printer?

If it is not the printer or the router issue, we can also check our Mac. Sometimes, I need to re-add the printer after I power cycle the router. 

HP Recommended

I knew,  you have made some troubleshooting on the issue.

Just to share with you this site,  it provides few ways to overcome the connection issue. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-6830-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5390307/model/...

Thank you for using HP Support Forum.
I work for HP. The response is my personal view and not HP.

HP Recommended

Hello Nugi,

I did power cycle the printer. No luck.

As I mentioned, the disconnect happened from one day to the next. No other wireless device in my home has lost connectivity or has an issue connecting to the network. The printer makes it all the way through the wireless setup, but will not accept what I know is the correct wireless password.

If you have any tricks to get this thing working again, I'll give them a shot.

Thanks!

HP Recommended
Hello Edo123,

I am sorry that until now I have not found what might be wrong. There are more than one networks at my home and the printer is able to connect using the wireless setup.

Do you still have issue with connecting to the wireless?
HP Recommended

Apologies for the late response. I managed to get this issue resolved over the phone with customer support.

The security mode on the router needed to be changed to WEP 64 for the wireless connection to be reestablished. According to HP Support, this is a common problem with Technicolor routers. There was no explanation as to why the printer suddenly lost the ability to connect wirelessly when security was set to WPA2-PSK. The network had been configured that way for over a year.

I almost resolved this issue on my own (I had read about changing the security in a different post), but ran into a hiccup because of Safari. For some reason, Safari prevented access to a menu page for my router's security settings. You can imagine how annoying it was to watch HP Support use Firefox to access the router and make one more mouse click then I had to make the change. So, if you need to make this change, be sure not to use Safari when accessing your Technicolor router's gateway. Use Chrome or Firefox.

HP Recommended
Hi Edo123,

Glad to hear that you have found the solution. Thanks a lot for sharing on how to fix the problem and the tips on the web browser.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.