Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My OfficeJet Pro 6978 was functioning normally, with no recent changes in software or hardware, when suddenly it stopped working. The dashboard provided a series of three messages. First message:  "The original is jammed in the document feeder". Checking the document feeder shows no paper jams, no obstructions, and all gears, rollers, and levers operating freely. Upon closing the document feeder, the display then reports the second message: "Remove any jammed paper and make sure the paper tray ia closed correctly". No jammed paper, nor obstruction could be found below or behind or around the paper tray, nor within the rollers and gears that run along and in back of the printhead carriage. Completing that task, I received the third message: "There is a problem with the printer or print system... Contact HP. 0x6100004a".

Finding an old (and now closed) similar problem reported by "Christopher M." in the Support Community, I followed the suggested steps to take as provided.  I started with powering the printer on and off, with the power cord disconnected from the back of the printer as needed, and otherwise plugged directly into a wall outlet, and then holding the power button "On" for over 5 seconds. No combination of ways of shutting the printer On/Off, and then restarting in any sequence, made any difference.

Next, due to the advice also provided about cleaning the printheads, I did so with an inkjet cleaning kit made for HP printers that I purchased from Amazon.  On completion, there was no change in the printer status.

I then used the printer dashboard to reset the printer to the original factory default condition. The "new" printer then found and connected to my router.  My printer was wirelessly connected and ready to go - except, I got the exact same set of messages as before.

There may be some other cause of mechanical obstruction somewhere from a worn or failed part.  I reviewed hours of  YouTube videos for information and directions.  I needed to investigate further. 

I lifted the ADF and scanner to access the printhead track and paper handling area. I removed the ten (10) torx T-40 screws, and disconnected the scanner and laid it back on an elevated platform (a cardboard box that fit perfectly) to support its weight. I carefully disengaged two plastic clips, and popped the dashboard panel off.  I then looked for any signs that might indicate a problem.  However, all gears, rods, and rollers appeared to move freely. The dilemma I faced at this point, was that I could not test further with the power off for safety. I then reassembled everything, and plugged it in, and turned it on. The printer started flawlessly!  But then it paused to tell me to check for a paper jam, and proceeded to give exactly the same error messages as before.

I've done everything I can think of, and so now I am asking the community for help. Any ideas of what I can do next?  

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Buko,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you've gone through quite a thorough troubleshooting process already! Given that you've checked for paper jams, cleaned the printheads, and even partially disassembled the printer to inspect for any mechanical issues, there are a few more steps we can explore.

• Reset the Printer Again: Sometimes, a reset may need to be performed multiple times to take effect. Try resetting the printer to its factory defaults again, following the manufacturer's instructions carefully.
  • Update Firmware: Ensure that your printer has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes, software glitches or bugs can cause these types of errors, and a firmware update can resolve them.
  • Inspect Sensors: There could be a faulty sensor within the printer that's incorrectly detecting a paper jam. Carefully inspect all sensors along the paper path to ensure they are clean and functioning properly. Sometimes a small piece of debris can trigger a false paper jam error.
  • Check for Firmware Bugs: Occasionally, firmware updates can introduce new issues. If the problem started after a recent firmware update, consider rolling back to a previous version to see if that resolves the issue.

Hopefully, one of these steps will help you resolve the issue with your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Alden4,

I thank you for your thoughtful response!  

In response to your suggestion of resetting the printer to its original factory defaults, I know I tried that, I believe twice, though not back to back resets.  I will try multiple resets sequentially and see what happens. 

Regarding the firmware updates, at one point I saw the term "... firmware ..." flash on the display, only to disappear in less than a second. I took that as a hint of another step to try, but I was prevented from accessing any of the setting that would have permitted me to do more. Any attempt to get into Settings was met with the message of Printer or Printing Failure, and that blocked that route of troubleshooting.

I also liked your idea of checking for sensor malfunction. I have no idea what to look for, but I will go to YouTube to see if I can find further instruction there.  I did see several YouTube videos where a cracked gear was responsible for the printer failure. OMG! In two cases, the cracked gear could be discovered only by major disassembly.  I might be able to spot a broken gear, but it would be tough for me to spot a crack in a gear. 

But, "if you don't go fishing, you ain't goin' catch any fish". So I'm going to go back to YouTube to find further info and guidance, and then take a better informed look for gear and sensory problems.  I will let you know in a few days how everything turned out.

HP Recommended

Hi @Buko,

Thank you for your response, 

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.