Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet J6450 All in One Printer.  I only use HP brand new cartridges (no refurbished, no manual re-fills).  I installed a 74XL into the printer about a month ago with an expiration of 11/02/2014.  It is still over 1/2 full and printed just fine yesterday.  Today, for no apparent reason, the printer is saying that the ink cartridge is not supported by my printer...that it is the wrong one.  I tried a reset (3 and the # and when that didn't work 6 and the #) while unplugging and plugging back in.  I also removed the cartridge and tried both resets and then put it back in and still got the same error message.    I cleaned the print heads with a coffee filter and distilled water and tried the reset with unplugging and plugging back it.  That didn't fix it.  I also deleted all driver's from my computer and re-installed the drivers and all the updates (which I automatically do anyway, so the printer was already up to date yesterday).  That didn't fix it.  I have tried everything and can't get this stupid printer to work.  I have spent hours and hours on this.  I did put in a new cartridge and it seems to be working now, but I don't want to waste over 1/2 full cartridge of ink with no recourse.  I am a mother of 6 and ink is very, very expensive, and what happens if this happens again?  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Sounds like the cartridge has failed, seeing as its within warranty til 2014 I'd suggest contacting HP phone support. Can you please let us know how you get on?
Thanks
Ciara
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Sounds like the cartridge has failed, seeing as its within warranty til 2014 I'd suggest contacting HP phone support. Can you please let us know how you get on?
Thanks
Ciara
HP Recommended

I don't mind letting everyone know how I am getting along, but first...before I spend so much time on the phone with HP phone support, I bought these HP cartridges in a two pack from Sam's Club, not from HP's website.  Will that matter?

HP Recommended

OH, and I most certainly don't have the receipt anymore, even though they are original HP cartridges (not re-furbished or manually re-filled).

HP Recommended
No once they're originals it won't matter. No need for the receipt as the warranty for these cartridges is based on the Warranty Ends Date marked on them ( not the purchase date )
HP Recommended

OK, thanks...will try this Monday to call HP support and see if they will refund me the cost of my cartridge or send me a new one or something...I will update everyone on how easy this process went.

HP Recommended
Great thanks, let us know how you get on
HP Recommended

Well, after over 50 minutes on the phone and having to troubleshoot over again (which is a pain in the you know what), I finally got HP to say they will send out a new cartridge.  It should be here in 5-7 days, so I guess it was worth an hour of my time since these cartridges are over $30 a piece, but it still was a pain...I had to research, troubleshoot, use the forums, and then call HP...what a pain...but the worst was deleting all the drivers and re-installing them.  YUK!!!  Anyway, thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

you're welcome

🙂

Sorry for the hassle, but glad to hear you're getting a replacement

Ciara

HP Recommended

recently installed our first ink program cartridges and when I looked at the status page all of the brand new carts expired in 2015.  Suspect this is due to the difference in Windows time and OS-X time.  OS-X system  time range begins at  00:00:00 1-JAN-2001 while Windows  range begins at same date in 1601.  So seeing the expiration of the cartridges at four years before the current time is probably a bug that could be corrected some time.  As long as the expiration date doesn't shut off the cartridges, I'm ok with it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.