Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

8600 has worked fine on a wireless network for some years. Have just changed broadband supplier and installed a new router - I've run the wireless setup on the 8600 and it tells me 'connection successful' but the blue wireless light is off and when I try to print from any PC on the LAN the printer shows as off line. I've removed the printer settings from one PC and tried to reinstall but the printer can't be found. Next steps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HI,

Thanks for the feedback.  It's saying it's not found because the printer is not connected to the network.

Here's what we'd recommend :

1. Restore wireless Networks to Default.

This resource will help:

Restore Printer Networks to Default

2. We'd recommend that you use the HP Auto Wireless Connect (AWC) to setup your printer Software.

Download and install the FULL feature software, this wizard will help you :

HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL50403/mp-150580-2/hppiw.exe

If you're not familiar with the AWC, this resource will help:

Setting up the printer wirelessly using HP Auto Wireless Connect

Hope that helps to resolve your issue!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Rebooted printer and router. Print and Scan doctor says that printer is visible and shows it's IP address, but the next step ('communicating with your selected products') is unsuccessful...

HP Recommended

HI,

What router model are you using?

Are there any settings on your router that could be causing the printer not to be discovered? e.g. Mac address filtering, virtual VPN  settings etc)

Can you try to use a TCP/IP port and see if it can be discovered?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works.

HP Recommended

Hi,

the new router is a BT Home Hub 5 - I can't see that there are any settings that would cause this, as I haven't made any changes to the factory settings). Have tried creating a new port as per instructions, but get message 'the device is not found on the network'

The printer does work when connected by USB cable by the way

HP Recommended

HI,

Thanks for the feedback.  It's saying it's not found because the printer is not connected to the network.

Here's what we'd recommend :

1. Restore wireless Networks to Default.

This resource will help:

Restore Printer Networks to Default

2. We'd recommend that you use the HP Auto Wireless Connect (AWC) to setup your printer Software.

Download and install the FULL feature software, this wizard will help you :

HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL50403/mp-150580-2/hppiw.exe

If you're not familiar with the AWC, this resource will help:

Setting up the printer wirelessly using HP Auto Wireless Connect

Hope that helps to resolve your issue!

HP Recommended

Fixed!! Many thanks for your help

HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.