Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

Printer is stuck with a message "printing", but nothing is happening. I have cancelled, turned off the printer, restarted my PC, cleared all print jobs. I was printing 10 copies of a single page; it printed 3, then 'froze'.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jconroy45,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

Are you able to print test pages?

• Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word, or web pages and check if the issue persists?

Let us try these steps:

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Check the connectivity between the devices. Is it connected wirelessly?

• Make sure the printer and the computer are connected to the same wireless network. Either 2.4 or 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win 10/11 PC Click here to download and know more about the app.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Elohi_NR thank you for reaching out. 
To answer your questions:

- I am not able to print test pages, Word docs, pdfs, notepad entries, screen prints. The same thing happens each time: the print icon circle sits there rotating with the caption “printing…”

Each time I try something new, I shut the printer down wait a while, then restart.

i have run Print and Scan Doctor several times. The last time I ran it, there was a recommendation to update the printer’s firmware. When I clicked on the link to download it, I was taken to a “404 page not found”. If you can give me a good link to a firmware download site, I would appreciate it. 
- Windows 11 diagnostics are able to communicate with the printer, and report no issues.

- I have the HP Smart app, and have been using it for as long as it has been available.

- when I shut the printer down and restart it, there is a brief message in red at the top of the menu “document loaded”. Since the problem first occurred when the printer was printing copy 4 of ten copies of a one page Word doc, is there somehow a file stick in the printer memory?

If I need to delete and reinstall, I will do that. But I’d like to make sure I have the files needed to reinstall, and not get another 404 gotcha.
Thank you again for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @jconroy45,

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that the issue persists even after attempting the troubleshooting steps mentioned above.

In this case, I recommend you contact phone support as they can help via remote assistance. 

For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.