Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Inkjet All-in-One C7280
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Printer has been acting screwy for some weeks - kept loesing state.  I've been powering on/off, rebooting laptop, etc..  Would clear up for awhile then go screwy again - repeat.  My iMac suddenly no longer recognized the C7280 at all.  Tried deleting and adding printer back, never would "find" the printer.  Tried entering ip address - still did not find printer on network.  Tried printing from Dell (Windows 10) laptop and it just said "Printer Error" but no information.  Tried unplugging/resetting modem and printer, still would not see and select printer.  Tried hardcoding ip address in again - still would not find printer on network.  All other devices, i.e. iMac, Dell Laptop, iPhone, etc. working via wi-fi fine.  The little blue light in lower right corner of control panel (802.11g Ethernet) is solid blue.  It's over 7 years old - maybe time to bury it ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Most likely the Wireless/Ethernet radio in the printer has failed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Have you tried using the ethernet port?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes.  Printed fine.

HP Recommended

Does it work for all your devices?

HP Recommended

Not sure what exactly you're asking.

If I print via etnernet on the iMac. - it prints fine.

If I go back to wireliss on the iMac - I get messages "Printing - looking for printer. The Printer is not connected."  Nothing new.

I'm having no luck getting the Dell to print via ethernet.  It is not finding the printer.  I just downloaded and ran the C7280 install software.  Manually added the printer and tried a "test page" no print - just says error printing.  It is not recognizing the attached printer - which it normally would have done as soon as I plugged in the ethernet.  

Not sure what is going on - very annoying.

HP Recommended

Just to make sure, the ethernet is plugged directly into your router.

HP Recommended

No.  Ethernet is connected directly from iMac to HP.  That worked for printing on iMac.  

But the same direct link from Dell to Printer never did work.

HP Recommended

I did try ethernet directly from MODEM to PRINTER. ...  I get "Looking for Printer" when trying to print.  It does not print.  

HP Recommended

Most likely the Wireless/Ethernet radio in the printer has failed.

HP Recommended

I agree.  Thanks for your time and help.  Think I'm going to try a new HP OfficeJet Pro 8720.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.