Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have been trying to set up my printer to scan to a shared folder on my MAC.  I am running Catalina.

• I have confirmed that the network share is properly configured by connecting to it from a Windows 10 machine.
  • I have tried using the network path:
    • \\macname.local\users\username\scannedphotos
    • \\ipaddress\users\username\scannedphotos
  • I have cold booted the printer
  • I have confirmed that I am using the correct login credentials for my mac
  • I am able to scan to network folders on other devices so I know it is not a printer network connection.
  • Quite frankly based on the many people having this issue there seems to be a problem with HP's support of smb networking.  Also the responses from so called HP experts has been poor.   
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Hi, In addition to @Repairatrooper suggestion above, I would add the following information to try:

You should only use the share path and not the local folder structure.

E.g below share sample should be correct:

• \\macname.local\scannedphotos
  • \\ipaddress\scannedphotos

Also, under System Preferences > Sharing < File Sharing, click the Share Options and ensure that SMB is enabled, also ensure your user account is checked to allow SMB usage in the table below.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

One issue I have run into on rare occasions is that when entering the user name for authentication in a non-domain network you sometimes need to enter the user name as follows   computername\username, where computername is the name of the computer where the user is located that you are using for authentication. Example: computer has a name of workmac5 and the user is sally.  You would enter the user name as workmac5\sally and then the password for user sally. 

This may not help in your case but it is the only thing that jumps out at me that you do not state you have tried.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Hi, In addition to @Repairatrooper suggestion above, I would add the following information to try:

You should only use the share path and not the local folder structure.

E.g below share sample should be correct:

• \\macname.local\scannedphotos
  • \\ipaddress\scannedphotos

Also, under System Preferences > Sharing < File Sharing, click the Share Options and ensure that SMB is enabled, also ensure your user account is checked to allow SMB usage in the table below.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Got it to work using the share name and not the whole path as you suggested.  For some reason the printer web server seems to flake out requiring a reboot of the printer way too often.   I figured out that if you get a pgNetworkFolderAccounts-503 error in trying to configure a scan job the built in web server in the printer is completely hosed and you need to reboot.  Search for this error on HP's website and you will get nothing.  I realize that it must be similar to any 503 error but it is not obvious that it is fatal and requires a reboot of the printer.  At least I got it working.

Thanks for your help.  

HP Recommended

I got it only working when i dont use a reference. The scan is placed in my folder \\MAC-PRO.local\HP_Scans but even though the folder has read&write i need to manually set these rights each time a file gets added. This is kinda hideous!

When i try to use a reference, thus with login details, it always returns an error. I had this working once, but stopped and now im going nuts. This machine is nothing but a headache. Lots of items dont work properly. The installed tools link to not working pages. Viewing the system in the HP utility app hardly ever connects. I always need to restart the printer before its been seen again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.