Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 6001 All-in-One

HP Smart Tank 6001 is fully connected to wifi, however when trying to print, the HP Smart app says that the printer door is still open, the attention light is on and the power button is blinking. There is no additional error code. The door is closed, but it still says that the door is open so that it cannot print. Is there a sensor location that should be checked for damage or obstruction?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jwand89,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there may be an issue with the door sensor or its connection. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem.

• Check for Obstructions: Make sure there's nothing blocking the door from closing properly. Even a small piece of paper can trigger the sensor.
  • Clean the Sensor: Sometimes dust or debris can interfere with the sensor's operation. Use a can of compressed air or a soft brush to clean around the door area and the sensor itself.
  • Restart the Printer: Turn off the printer, wait for a few minutes, and then turn it back on. This can sometimes reset any minor glitches.
  • Update Firmware: Ensure that your printer has the latest firmware installed. HP often releases updates to address known issues.
  • Reposition the Printer: If the printer is on an uneven surface or if it's positioned in a way that might affect the door alignment, try moving it to a different location.
  • Inspect the Door: Check the door carefully for any signs of damage or misalignment. 

By following these steps, you should be able to diagnose and hopefully resolve the issue with the door sensor on your HP Smart Tank 6001 printer.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Where is the sensor for the door located so that I can check for obstructions/clean the sensor ?

HP Recommended

Hi @jwand89,

Thank you for your response, 

In the HP Smart Tank 6001 printer, the sensor responsible for detecting whether the door is open or closed is typically located near the hinges of the door. It's usually a small, plastic or metal component that detects when the door is closed properly.

To check for obstructions or clean the sensor, follow these steps.

• Turn off the printer: Before performing any maintenance or inspection, it's important to turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source to prevent any accidents.
  • Inspect the hinges: Look closely at the hinges of the door. Sometimes, debris or small objects can get lodged in these areas, preventing the door from closing properly. Remove any obstructions you find.
  • Check the sensor area: Once you've inspected the hinges, focus on the area around the sensor itself. Use a flashlight if necessary to get a clear view. Look for any dirt, dust, or other particles that may be obstructing the sensor.
  • Clean the sensor: If you see any dirt or debris, use a soft, dry cloth to gently wipe away any residue. Avoid using liquid cleaners or harsh chemicals, as these can damage the sensor.
  • Test the door: After cleaning the sensor and removing any obstructions, carefully close the door and ensure it latches securely. Turn the printer back on and see if the error message persists. 

Remember to always handle the printer and its components with care to avoid causing any damage. 

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.