Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Just started getting this error 79 and now 49. I have unplugged and plugged back with no success! Suggests needs firmware update so HOW EXACTLY is this done as I'm unable to "connect" to the printer on the HP Smart App. as it shows the printer "offline" ?? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @AlyK110 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand getting Error code 79 on an HP printer typically indicates a firmware issue, while error code 49 often indicates a firmware communication error. Firmware updates are indeed a common solution to these problems, as they can resolve bugs and compatibility issues. Here's a step-by-step guide to perform a firmware update on your HP printer:

• Access the HP website: Go to the HP support website (support.hp.com) and navigate to the support page for your specific printer model. 
  • Download firmware update: Look for the latest firmware update for your printer model. Download the firmware update file to your computer.  Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Prepare printer: Ensure that your printer is turned on and connected to your computer or network. Make sure there are no pending print jobs.
  • Connect via USB (if possible): If your printer supports a USB connection, try connecting it directly to your computer via USB cable.
  • Update firmware using USB (if applicable): Some HP printers allow firmware updates via USB. If your printer supports this method, follow the instructions provided with the firmware update file to update the firmware using a USB connection.
  • Use HP Smart App (if available): If you're unable to connect to the printer through the HP Smart App, try troubleshooting the connection issue. Ensure that both your computer or mobile device and the printer are connected to the same network. You may also need to check your firewall or antivirus settings to allow communication between devices on your network.
  • Manual firmware update: If you can't update the firmware through the HP Smart App, you may need to perform a manual firmware update using a computer connected to the same network as the printer. Refer to the documentation or support resources provided by HP for detailed instructions on how to perform a manual firmware update.

Refer to this document:  HP LaserJet MFP M234dw Printer User manual

HP LaserJet Pro - 79 Errors
HP LaserJet, HP PageWide - 49 Error Displays On the Control Panel

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @AlyK110,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an issue with your HP Product. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

• May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

The model is HP 234 laser. Please provide EXACT details and instructions. Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hi @AlyK110 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand getting Error code 79 on an HP printer typically indicates a firmware issue, while error code 49 often indicates a firmware communication error. Firmware updates are indeed a common solution to these problems, as they can resolve bugs and compatibility issues. Here's a step-by-step guide to perform a firmware update on your HP printer:

• Access the HP website: Go to the HP support website (support.hp.com) and navigate to the support page for your specific printer model. 
  • Download firmware update: Look for the latest firmware update for your printer model. Download the firmware update file to your computer.  Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Prepare printer: Ensure that your printer is turned on and connected to your computer or network. Make sure there are no pending print jobs.
  • Connect via USB (if possible): If your printer supports a USB connection, try connecting it directly to your computer via USB cable.
  • Update firmware using USB (if applicable): Some HP printers allow firmware updates via USB. If your printer supports this method, follow the instructions provided with the firmware update file to update the firmware using a USB connection.
  • Use HP Smart App (if available): If you're unable to connect to the printer through the HP Smart App, try troubleshooting the connection issue. Ensure that both your computer or mobile device and the printer are connected to the same network. You may also need to check your firewall or antivirus settings to allow communication between devices on your network.
  • Manual firmware update: If you can't update the firmware through the HP Smart App, you may need to perform a manual firmware update using a computer connected to the same network as the printer. Refer to the documentation or support resources provided by HP for detailed instructions on how to perform a manual firmware update.

Refer to this document:  HP LaserJet MFP M234dw Printer User manual

HP LaserJet Pro - 79 Errors
HP LaserJet, HP PageWide - 49 Error Displays On the Control Panel

I hope this helps. 

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi @AlyK110 

Maybe you could try below steps and see if the issue could be resolved.  

• If possible, use ethernet connection. 
  • If printer is connected with wireless, please follow below steps:
    1. Turn off the printer, remove the toner cartridge from the printer, and then wait for 30 seconds.
    2. Turn on the printer. After ER07 is shown on control panel, insert the toner cartridge.
    3. The printer should go back to the Ready mode.
    4. Press the Information button  to print the Printer Information Report. The report contains the printer IP address and printer PIN.
    5. Open a web browser from computer/mobile device in same network, enter the printer IP address to access the EWS page.
    6. Click Networking, and enter ‘admin’ as printer user name, printer PIN as password when pop window showing up. 
    7. Go to Advanced at the left panel menu,  uncheck IPv6, and then click Apply at the right-bottom of the page.
    8. Close the EWS page. The printer should recover now.
    9. If Er79 occurs again, follow step 1-2 to recover the printer.  
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.