Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My HP printer is only printing one line of garbled text at the top of each page.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @KK81454,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like there could be several potential issues causing your HP printer to print only one line of garbled text at the top of each page. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.

• Check Ink or Toner Levels: Low ink or toner levels can cause poor print quality. Check the ink or toner levels on your printer and replace any cartridges that are low.
  • Run Printer Diagnostic Tests: Many HP printers have built-in diagnostic tests that can help identify and resolve printing issues. Check your printer's user manual or HP's website for instructions on how to run these tests.
  • Clean Print Heads: Over time, print heads can become clogged with dried ink or toner, which can result in poor print quality. Most printers have a utility or option to clean the print heads. Refer to your printer's user manual for instructions on how to do this.
  • Check Printer Settings: Make sure that the printer settings, such as print quality and paper type, are configured correctly for the type of document you're trying to print. Incorrect settings can result in garbled or incomplete printing.
  • Update Printer Drivers: Outdated or corrupted printer drivers can cause printing problems. Visit HP's website to download and install the latest drivers for your printer model.
  • Restart Printer and Computer: Sometimes, simply restarting both your printer and computer can resolve printing issues by resetting any temporary glitches.
  • Inspect Paper Tray and Feed Mechanism: Ensure that the paper tray is loaded correctly and that the paper is not jammed or misaligned. Additionally, check for any obstructions in the paper feed mechanism that may be causing the printer to malfunction.
  • Try Printing from a Different Device: If possible, try printing the same document from a different device to determine if the issue is with the printer or the original device you were printing from.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the issue with your HP printer's garbled printing.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.