Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem for several months. I cannot be certain that this fixed it, but my touchscreen is clear as the day I bought the printer.

• While the printer was printing, but between pages, I pulled the plug out of the wall. (my son went to print 1 page from the internet but queued up over 100 pages)
  • I left it unplugged overnight. I dont know if that matters or if 10 seconds is good enough.
  • The next day the touchscreen was as clear as the day it was purchased.
  • That was a week ago and the screen still looks beautiful.

Note: Later that night on the day I pulled the plug, the screen did start to fade again. Not wanting to deal with it, I did nothing. I left the printer plugged in, the next day I woke the printer and the screen was clear and stayed that way now for a week.

I imagine it is possible to completely trash your printer by pulling the plug mid-print. I had already made my mind up to buy another printer due to the screen issue, so I did not care if I made it worse. Obviously, this printer has been out of warranty for a while.

There seems to be a group of people who get the screen to work after turning off the printer, pulling the plug, waiting 10 seconds, then plugging in and turning on. Then there is a group that gets it work to by pulling the plug while the printer is on, but not printing. Neither of those worked for me. It seems like the trick is to force a complete "hard" reset and HP just does not have a good way to that. When turning the printer off and pulling the plug doesn't work the "accepted answer" is the printer is toast call someone to repair it. Which is OK if it is still under warranty. What I did is a 3rd variation on the theme to get the printer to reset. And that seemed to be what worked for me.

Jan. 6, 2014:

My screen started to fade again. This time I just pulled the plug while it was on and awake and left it unplugged overnight. When I plugged it in the following morning the icons were clear again.

It is so perplexing, what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. Especially the person where doing this make it a little better! How messed up is that. I guess its come down to always having to buy an extended warranty. HP used to be so reliable that the thought of an extended warranty would never have occured to me.

June 28, 2014:

To add to the confusion, my screen has NOT gone dim again since my last update in January.  My "fix" and why it worked for me and few, or no one else, if just as baffling as the issue to begin with. I feel for everyone struggling with this.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that tip.   I did try it.  I unplugged everything and left it off over night.  I plugged it in just now and I can see the icons on the screen slightly better but they are not back to full view.  It's a strain to see them. Thanks for the tip .. at least my printer is a bit more functional now .   😄

HP Recommended

Hi LizBirch

That is good that you can slightly read the display now.

I would recommend to call HP Tech Support if the printer is still under warranty and inquire about  a replacement.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have a HP officejet pro 8600 and the touchscreen display panel is too light and I cannot see

any suggestions

HP Recommended
Well I spoke too soon. A few days after that fix its not readable again. Grrrr guess I have to figure out if theres still a warranty on it. What a hassle. Im sure I passed the year mark. Beautiful printer/scanner. What a waste

😞
HP Recommended

HP,

With over 7000 views on this thread I'm sure the problem has been identified by tech's from returned units by now. Please let us know what it will take to remedy/repair this issue (out of warranty).  We can then decide how to proceed (repair/replace or live with the issue).

HP 8600 N911A

LCD screen very bright- dim icons not visible unless you look from an angle then washed out. Adjusting contrast does not help. None of the suggestions on this thread were effective.

Stan

HP Recommended

Hi, the touchscreen display on my Officejet 8600 is also washed out. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can fix the screen by resetting the printer, but the problem seems to resurface if I leave it on for an extended period of time.

The frustrating part for me is that this issue only started happening after my warranty expired (how convenient, right?). Furthermore, my current Officejet 8600 is a replacement that they sent me after my first one stopped working 3-4 months after purchase (exactly one year ago).

Can't say I don't feel cheated. A device that costs hundreds of dollars should be a bit more reliable, don't you think?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, same printer, tried all three of those suggestions and it did not repair the problem.  I spoke with someone at HP and they had no resolution for the problem but did offer to sell me another printer, at a discounted rate.  Well the discount was no different than what I could find online.   LOL    That isn't going to happen.    My printer is out of warranty, still looks brand new and now I can't use the diplay panel.

Such a waste and so unfortunate.    I will not purchase a printer again with a display panel.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600and the touchscreen display panel is very light and is hardly readable.  It still faxes, copies and prints ok.

Any ideas??

HP Recommended

Re: I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600 and the touchscreen display panel is very light and cannot read it.  Prints, scans and copies still ok

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.