Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

We have purchased this printer and I was wondering if there is a way to import address to the printer from a distribution list and contacts  we have stored in outlook.

TIA

Josh

Moved from Printers - LaserJet to Multifunction and All-in-One

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

HP laserjet printers can access LDAP servers directly which is most likely where your organization is storing its Email addresses and aliases.

All you need to do is navigate to the Embedded Web Server for the printer by entering the IP Address into a browser.  Then click the Scan/Send tab and select the Address Book option.  From there you should have access to all the configuration options you need to connect your printer to the LDAP server.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I am trying to export the fax address book so I can re-sort it. But I can not get the re-sorted file to import. Any ideas.

HP Recommended

Chances are you are not formatting your fax phone book correctly so the printer cannot process it.

Post an error message for us so that we can get a better idea as to what is going on.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

I am using the FAX/RESTORE PHONE BOOK button from the Address Book on the fax phone book page.  

I then select the "Save the Phone Book to a file"

Then Next... which opens an Excel file named PBSave.  I resort this file and restore the phone book from a file.....and the old file is still there! 

What am I missing?

Thanks

HP Recommended

That is the proceedure to back up /Export the phone book.  You are seeing the previous phone book because that is what is already installed on the printer.

I am more curious about what happens when you try to import the address book back into the printer.  The printer should ask for you to select a file.  These phone books are in .csv format so you can open and review them before completing the operation to ensure the accuracy.  Excel can open .csv but you can also open and check a .csv from Notepad.  Once you select the correct file follow the prompts on the screen and complete the import. 

Let us know what errors you recieve when you attempt the IMPORT function on the printer for more help.

HP Recommended

I am more curious about what happens when you try to import the address book back into the printer.  The printer should ask for you to select a file. 

You are of course correct. So I select my saved file which I have sorted to my liking.

These phone books are in .csv format so you can open and review them before completing the operation to ensure the accuracy.  Excel can open .csv but you can also open and check a .csv from Notepad.  Once you select the correct file follow the prompts on the screen and complete the import. 

I am using the .csv format in excel. Then I am using the prompts to select the (resorted) file.  I saved using the “Restore the phone book from a file”.  Then I am using the Finish button. 

Let us know what errors you recieve when you attempt the IMPORT function on the printer for more help.

I do not receive any error messages.

The same file is in place that I started with!  I am wondering if I am supposed to some how delete the old file before restoring the new file.

Is there another way to import a file??

Thanks for working with me on this.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm not sure what is going wrong for you.  The proceedure is pretty straight forward.  Either the printer is somehow recieving the wrong file or the printer is caching the old phonebook and not accepting the new one.  I have noticed with other models that sometimes a reboot is necessary before phonebook updates can be seen on the control panel.  Haven't noticed that issue on this model yet.

Also, if your printer is being controlled by a scanning/sending service like HP's DSS any manually entered phone books will be overwritten.  You must make changes to teh DSS server if you want them to trickle down to your printer. 

Here's what you should do to work around the problem:

1. Export a fresh PBSave.csv

2. Modify the file to your preferences

3. Restore the defaults on the printer (This should wipe out the previously saved phonebook)

4. Reconfigure the printer for your faxing enviornment

5. Import the modified PBSave.csv

HP Recommended

I have tried this. The Email Address Book imported but the Fax Address Book will not.

You said you have heard of this with other models.  Is there another work around?  And is there an HP department that works on unsolved issues like this?

Thanks for your assist.

Malcolm 

HP Recommended

Seem's odd that your printer is applying the email address book but not the fax address book.  You might want to give HP a call on this one.  If your printer is still supported they should be able to provide you with a more official answer.

I already provided you with the only work arounds I am aware of. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.