Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Wait a minute... you mentioned your Business IT person?  Is this a home network or a full business?  Because if it is, the DHCP addressing may be too small and will need to be adjusted.

HP Recommended

You see the issue I have is that they are not one in the same.  If that was true then both the printing and the scanning would work or not work.  Right?  Yet right now before I do anything, the printing DOES work but the scanning does not ... which is what was confusing the heck out of my support person ... and raising my blood pressure.

I am not really wanting to mess around with the settings myself so I might give him a call and show him your comments and get him to make them.  I'll let you know how it goes.

HP Recommended

No it's at my house.  I run the business from both home and my company's premises.  This issue is occurring at my house.

HP Recommended

The steps you provided didn't make a difference unfortunately.  BUT ...

When we turned off my Bit Defender firewall, HP Scan would work!  So it is obviously a firewall issue.  We have added the HP Scan executable file to the safe list but it still won't work if we turn on the firewall again.  Apparently there is something on the HP website about there being issues with the aggressive Bit Defender firewall so I might need to contact them to work out how to leave it turned on whilst still allowing HP Scan to work ... unless you happen to know the answer?

Thanks for your help so far though, it really is appreciated.

HP Recommended

To be honest with you, I tried bit defender.  Didn't like it.  Windows firewall provided the same protection when I tested them both at Shields Up.   https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

You will have to add an exception bit defender to grant access. 

HP Recommended

You have to do two things:

1 - Uninstall/remove the printer.

2 - Re-install the printer.

If you installed the device driver software (the actual executable setup) for one of the devices, HP makes a "folder" in your programs called "HP" and in there is a shortcut to "Reconfigure your HP device" which you need to run. 

If you run it with the printer already installed (printing fine but not scanning) then it will error out... contrary to its name, it doesn't seem to help actually re-configure anything.   All it does is help you uninstall or reinstall printers.  So it's important to remove the printer -- either using that software, or manaully from your control panel.

In my case I had the device driver software installed.  I am not sure what the steps would be if you just used their drivers and didn't install the software.  I imagine the same process would work, however I can't confirm it. 

But this definitely works if you remove the printer and reinstall with the software. 

HP Recommended

Hello all,

After a lot of attempts to fix the same issue by re-installing software, etc - I found the following entry in Windows registry containing the old IP address: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\NetworkScanners\5413791400AB\IpAddress

Replacing it with the new one resolved this issue.

Regards,

Artem

HP Recommended

Hello, glad I found your post. Ive been trying to get my scanner to work for the past 6 hours. Windows firewall was stopping my scanner as well. I installed a new Bell 3000 modem and mine did exactly what yours was doing, printing but not scanning.

I tried alowwing the scanner to by pass the firewall and no go. I now have to turn off the firewall to scan, then turn it back on.

Did you happen to find a way to make it work.

Thanks

Rob 

HP Recommended

Perfect response, ArtBur, and exactly what I needed! Thank you! 😀

Just for clarity and to build on ArtBur's comments, the registry entry you need is:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\NetworkScanners\device_mac_in_uppercase_no_colons]
"IpAddress"="string_of_ip_address"

e.g.:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\NetworkScanners\80CE625CB645]
"IpAddress"="192.168.1.71"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.