Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 my in-line microphone shows as "not plugged in" on my Touchsmart 300 PC. It was working fine with Windows 8.

I guess HP has not provided yet the proper driver. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Stavrosv52,

Speakers not working Windows 8 upgrade.
1. Right click speaker icon (right hand corner)
2. Select Playback devices
3. Right click Speakers
4. Enable it and set as Default
5. Click Apply/Ok

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi Stavrosv52,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP TouchSmart 300 and microphone not working correctly. Here is a link to troubleshoot microphone issues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Dear Mrs. Tenter,

First of all, thanks for responding. I've tried all your recommendations but unfortunately, the problem persists. My "in line" microphone is not recognized by Windows 8.1 since the day I upgraded from Windows 8. I have concluded that it's a "driver" issue (the microphone shows as "not plugged in") and I'm trying every few days to update it but so far, I am unable to find a new one. I wouldn't mind giving you remote access to my PC to check it yourself.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi Stavrosv52,

Speakers not working Windows 8 upgrade.
1. Right click speaker icon (right hand corner)
2. Select Playback devices
3. Right click Speakers
4. Enable it and set as Default
5. Click Apply/Ok

Please let me know.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the fix. Speakers are working. Microphone is not.

HP Recommended

Hi Stavrosv52,

In this document is a section marked my microphone volume is too low. Configuring microphone levels shows you how to turn it on and permission to use.

Please let me know how this goes.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My problem is that the microphone shows as "not plugged" and when I attempt to add it, the system cannot find it. It's not the volume. However, the "in line" microphone is there and was perfectly working with Windows 7 and Windows 8. The problem occured after installing Windows 8.1

HP Recommended

Hi Stavrosv52,

From the Start screen, type sound to open the Search charm, and then select Sound from the search results. Does it show you a selection for recording? What happened after you followed the document that says Microphone does not work with Skype or other Internet software?

The audio recording troubleshooting tool can fix common problems with audio recording. Follow these steps to use the Troubleshooting tool:
From the Start screen, type troubleshooting to open the Search charm, and then select Troubleshooting from the search results. Then select troubleshooting audio recording and follow this along.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for following up. I've followed your recommendations but the "troubleshooting" couldn't identify the problem. In my opinion, the driver needs to be updated by either HP or Microsoft.

HP Recommended

Hey Stavrosv52,

Your microphone is not working it reflects on your HP TouchSmart 300 audio drivers. Here is a link to the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver.

You could also go into the device manage and right click on the sound adapter and update driver.

If that does not work try uninstalling the sound and reinstalling IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver as it controls the microphone.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.