Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My Laser Jet M1212nf MFP still copies, but everytime I try to print or scan a document it doesn't work and it shows a supply memory error on the display. I already tried to switchof and uplug the printer, but the problem still persits. Can anybody help me???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just fixed this on yet another Laserjet 2600dn....

Remove the affected cartridge. Look at where the chip on the cartridge hits the reader at the rear of the machine. There are two triangular 'wires' which hit the chip.

They should both be raised proud of their mount. In all cases of this error which I have dealt with (I'm a reseller) one or both have been pushed into the mount and are failing to spring out when the cartridge is removed.

This prevents the chip being read.

The solution? Grab them and gently pull them proud again so that the inserted cartrdige makes firm contact with them.

Problem solved! Hope this helps at some people experiencing this issue.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

It means that one of your ink cartridges is not working properly. Try reinstalling the cartridge. If that doesn't work, your supposed to replace it. I find that if it is a color cartridge, there should be a way to over ride or ignore it, but I haven't found a way to do that yet.

HP Recommended

I have seen this error before on the forum, and a number of people resolved the issue with the help below. 

Just take out your toner cartridge. If you find an orange color notch on the left side, just remove it. Re-insert the cartridge and restart the printer. This should resolve your issue.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Ink-Toner-Cartridge-Printhead-Issues/What-is-a-supply-memory-error-10-1...

Try that and let me know if that is useful, if not I will do whatever I can to help you out! 

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. However, there is no orange color notch on the left side.

HP Recommended

Just fixed this on yet another Laserjet 2600dn....

Remove the affected cartridge. Look at where the chip on the cartridge hits the reader at the rear of the machine. There are two triangular 'wires' which hit the chip.

They should both be raised proud of their mount. In all cases of this error which I have dealt with (I'm a reseller) one or both have been pushed into the mount and are failing to spring out when the cartridge is removed.

This prevents the chip being read.

The solution? Grab them and gently pull them proud again so that the inserted cartrdige makes firm contact with them.

Problem solved! Hope this helps at some people experiencing this issue.

HP Recommended

Hi PrinterFood, would you have a photo you could share? Thanks

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

@Ciara_B wrote:

Hi PrinterFood, would you have a photo you could share? Thanks

Sorry- no! I had gone round to the customer expecting to deliver an exchange for a faulty toner... then offered to have a quick look myself at the problem. Ended up selling him the replacement toner- win, win!

It's fairly easy to spot the relevant parts.

Mike

HP Recommended

Ok no worries, cheers Mike

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I have been having this problem too.  

I just did this and it worked.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

At work got this problem on M1212nf, which was printing blank pages.

It turned out to be the toner cartridge, a notch has been broken off it on the left side, which goes in a guided slot and helps lift the chip reader to the cihp on the cartridge.

Without it the chip reader stays down, and therefor no cartridge can be read.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.