Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've got a HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 (N911a)--connected via ethernet adapter to my LAN--which worked just like a charm up to MacOS X 10.9 ("Mavericks"); printing, scanning, faxing: no hassle there!

Since upgrading to MacOS X 10.10 ("Yosemite") I can't scan anything anymore, I'm kept being told that no scanner is available, albeit the printer is still working.

Btw. the fax has disappeared as well.

Scouting The Net, digging up various bits & bobs were to no avail. 😞

Any ideas who to resolve this one?

- M.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sounds like we are making progress!  🙂

I am not certain about Image Capture, but as for the HP Scan can you click on HP Scan next to the Apple icon, then choose Preferences, and look for Browse Scanners? You may need to force the program to reconnect with the scanner.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

133 REPLIES 133
HP Recommended

Hi @Sil68 

I would like to help you scan from your HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 (N911a) to your newly upgraded mac OS X. Please complete the following steps and let me know the outcome of your efforts;

Reset Printing System

1. Click the Apple icon (   ), and then click System Preferences.
  2. In the Hardware section, click Print & Fax/Scan. The Print & Fax/Scan  dialog box opens.
  3. Right-click (or  Ctrl  +click) in the left panel, and then click Reset printing system…
  4. Click OK to confirm the reset.
  5. Type the correct Name and Password.
  6. Click OK to reset the printing system. The Print & Fax dialog box shows no printer selected
Note: This will remove all printers in the print and Fax/Scan, any printer removed can be re-added later by clicking the plus (+) symbol.

Repair Disk Permissions
  1. On the Dock, click Applications, and then click Utilities.
  2. Double-click Disk Utility.
  3. Highlight your hard drive/partition on the left (by default this is "Macintosh HD").
  4. Click the Repair Disk Permissions button at the bottom of the window.

Once the repair is complete, restart the computer and download and install the HP Printer Drivers for OS X.

Now when you add the printer, you should have the HP driver to choose. If for any reason your printer driver is not there, then select the AirPrint driver.

1. Select Add other Printer or Scanner                                                     

2. Select the printer you are adding and next to 'Use' you can select the printer driver (or AirPrint)

Please let me know how this works out. If you require further assistance I will happily do all I can to help.

For those of you with an HP printer with no full feature software and drivers, this document explains how to scan a document from a Mac running Yosemite. Although a full feature Yosemite driver is not available to download for your printer, you can scan from the Mac with the driver from Apple Software Update. Follow the steps in this document to install the driver, and then scan from either Apple Preview, Apple Image Capture, or the Print and Scan window.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi Sunshyn2005,

Thanks for your support!

Following your instruction I reset the printer system, repaired the permissions, and rebooted my Mac.

Afterwards I setup the OfficeJet Pro (network-based) printer/scanner accordingly, and now the "scan" tab is available in the system preferences dialogue.

Scanning from within this dialogue ("open scanner") is working, but when trying to scan using Apple's "Image Capture", or HP's "HP Scan" is still reporting an error, that either the scanner is not ready or not connected (which actually is not the case, as I've just successfully scanned a document via the system preferences dialogue).

- Sil68

HP Recommended

Sounds like we are making progress!  🙂

I am not certain about Image Capture, but as for the HP Scan can you click on HP Scan next to the Apple icon, then choose Preferences, and look for Browse Scanners? You may need to force the program to reconnect with the scanner.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I also upgraded to 10.10 Yosemite and cannot Scan. I have gone through the steps advised above and still no success.

The error message I receive in System Preferences Scan utility is "No Document Loaded", although there is a document recognised in the tray.

When I launch the "Print to Computer" from the Scanner it says "Preparing to Print" and then that the connection was lost, the scan utility is in use or OCR is not installed.

Please advise.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem.  I removed the printer from the Printers and Scanners  System Preferences panel  (select on left and hit the minus button).  Then I added it right back (click the + button), choosing the model number from the Use: selection on the Add panel.  I can now scan again.  Maybe this will work for you.

- Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I've tried everything so far - completetly uninstalled the HP Utility, Run Repair Disk permissions, Installed Printer Drivers 3.0, again Repaid Permissions, various sequnces of removing and adding the HP 8600 Plus through System Preferences, shutting down the printer, switching it on again....

Nothing.. Still no scanning functionality.

"Scanner reported an error. An error occured during scanning."

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

I have a similar issue. I just upgraded to Yosimite this morning and now I can not scan. I can print. My scanner worked great before the upgrade. I did the repair and loaded a new printer. 

The message I have after selecting scanner followed by "waiting for scanner" is "Failed to open a session on the device".

Hope this helps. Need my scanner back.

Professor Clark

"

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have an HP OfficeJet 5780 All-in-One, and I am encountering the same problem as everyone else. I get the same message as Prof. Clark. Indeed, I too am an instructor, and have been trying to scan something for my students. My printing functions also appear not to have been affected.

I am still running OS 10.9.5 (on a mid-2011 iMac), as I have been nervous about upgrading already. But it seems that wouldn't solve this problem anyway. I have followed all of the troubleshooting steps (resetting printer list, repairing permissions, etc.) and still nothing. Is a further driver update needed? It seems they were updated very recently via the App Store, so perhaps they are the problem?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi Sunshyn2005,

Thanks again!

Following your instructions (again :), I tried to execute the "Browse Scanner" function, but I'm afraid, it's not located as indicated (under "HP Scan / Preferences").

What I had to do in order to get Apple's "Image Capture" to work again:

(01) Launch "HP Utility";

(02) Select "Scan to Computer" (bottom left corner);

(03) Tick "Enable Scan to Computer".

For "HP Scan" the steps to be taken were:

(01) Launch "HP Scan";

(02) Click on "Scan";

(03) Select "Browse Scanners" from the drop-down list under "Scanner";

(04) Select my (Bonjour) device from the pop-up window "Choose an HP Scanner".

- Sil68

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.