Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
My month old laptop shuts off (sleep mode) by itself while I am using it. There is no pattern. Sometimes it will be 10 minutes after I open it and sometimes an hour or more. It is not overheating. I have current BIOS. It always shows plenty of battery life (45% or more) when I connect it to power and wake it up. It never happens on AC power, only on battery. The battery tests fine.
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello dixie0511,

What is your product number?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

It is G6-2278DX

I took it back to Best Buy and had the Geek Squad look at it. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. And, of course, it wouldn't do it while I was there. It never happens on external power, only on battery, and there is always at least 42% power remaining on the battery. To restart it I have to connect the power cord, but after it comes back up I can take the cord off and it will run until the next time it shuts off.

I have run a hard drive test as requested by HP tech support and that came back fine as well. I did a complete refresh and that didn't help either.  I am running Google Chrome as my browser , but IE is still installed but not running at the same time. My OS is Windows 8.

HP Recommended

Hello dixie0511,

Try the steps in this document and please let me know if it helps to fix this issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hey, thanks. I did the hard reset. Now I will just have to wait and see if it shuts off again on its own. I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked and sooner if it didn't. Hahaha.....

HP Recommended

Nope...I had high hopes when my battery actually got down to 21% power, but right after I noted that it went *poof* again. This time it was 1 hour and 20 minutes!

Now what?

I am experimenting with running it without the external mouse. The touchpad for Windows 8 is a bit touchy so I was using the mouse. Is it possible that it could be the culprit? It was a cheap one I had bought a few years ago and rarely used. It occurred to me that maybe the trouble started after I plugged it into the USB slot. We'll see......

HP Recommended
Nope, that was not it either....shut off again after an hour.....:(
HP Recommended

Hi dixie0511,

Try the hardware failure test and please let me know of your results.

Thanks,

Signature
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. HP online support had me run that test last month and everything came back "passed". No problems with the hard drive or anything else. The battery tests fine, too. It must have something to do with the battery somehow, because it never happens on the power cord. When it shuts off it will only turn back on if I reconnect the power cord and then after a few minutes I can disconnect the cord and it runs fine again until the next time. The battery power indicator always shows at least 40% power remaining when I reconnect. When I run the battery test it always comes back normal. I have also done a complete reset of the computer as well as running system restore. None of these things have fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

I am having this EXACT problem. I have found that it is only while I am using facebook that it has happened but it could be coincidental. It happens at least once a day and is becomming a huge issue. Only when running off battery. Everything you have described in your situation is the same. Have you been able to fix this issue? I have only had this laptop for about a month. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.