Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello ArielleTrue,

You are having a problem with the laptop shutting off randomly on battery power.

You might need to calibrate the battery. 

Here is a link that will show you how to calibrate the battery.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Yeah, my computer tells me that my battery is fine and doesn't need calibration. And, yes, it happens to me daily also on Facebook. But I am on Facebook all the time so it may be coincidental as well. I still have no solution.

I am planning to do the manual calibration since the diagnostics found nothing. I will discharge the battery when I go to bed tonight and recharge it in the morning. I'll let you know if that works for me. That is, if it doesn't randomly shut off before it discharges completely, LOL.

HP Recommended

dixie0511,

You might want to go to HP.com and update the BIOS and the software frame work.

Here are the links.

HP Software Framework

BIOS

Also open a command prompt and run the following command. SFC /scannow

This will scan the system files and correct any errors that it can.

Here is a link to command prompt.

When you open command prompt, right click and run as administrator.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
I took my battery to Batteries Plus and they determined it was a bad battery. I went ahead and bought a new one and it's never happened since. HP wanted me to send the whole laptop but I've heard it can be months to get it back so I just paid for it myself. If yours is pretty new I'd take it to where you bought it and have them check it. I think Best Buy would replace the battery for you under their 90 day warrantyy.
HP Recommended
I ended up buying a new battery at Batteries Plus. He tested the battery and said it was defective. He tried to repair it but no good. I've had the new battery over a year and it's all fine now.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.