Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 -P1F10UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I hear a pop noise through headphone every time I play a music or even it plays Windows System sounds.

The noise is short, it is like once you plug your headphone in. 

I feel it has something to do with the power management, becuase it appears the sound system goes into the offline mode when nothing is played and once it turns on to play something it makes the noise.

I have found similar issues that people have faced but none of the worked for me.

For example:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Hp-pavilion-g6-2240sq-strange-sound-speaker...

and

http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-35046.html?s=927083fd01c9f0ec873b7e9e8da8d47e.

I have made online chats with HP supports but they were not able to find a solution. What they did was to uninstall/reinstall the drivers which did not work for me.

I feel this is a software issue.

I was not expecting this from HP but I feel a bit dissapointed with my choice. I hope I can fix it and not return it. 

I would  appreciate any suggesion.

Thanks

Bijan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, I've been looking for a solution for this problem and found that not using the Realtek HD Audio Manager/B&O will stop the audio popping. The problem with this driver is that it makes the sound card shut itself down after 10-20 seconds of no audio output in order to conserve battery life and to our advantage, there is no way to turn this "feature" off. What you're hearing, the popping sound, is similar to headphones being placed back in since the the sound card is being rebooted. I do notice that the audio is not as great after this fix. So you have to make a choice, sacraficing a little audio quality for no popping or better audio quality and popping. I found these steps from the hp forums here, credit to SteveCT99.

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window withHigh Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllerssection, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead ofRealtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @bijans,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the sound issue, and wanted to assist you!

Do you have this issue, when the headphones are not connected?  If you believe the issue to be related to your power settings, have you tried setting your power plan to high performance?  You can use the following document to help you, if needed:

HP Notebook PCs - Managing Power Options (Windows 10)

If you are still having trouble, try uninstalling the Audio Driver, and allow your system to search for a compatible driver.  Please post back with the results.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @SDF15

Thanks for the repy.

The issue appears only for headphones (wired and wireless). When I play something through speakers it has no problem.

I have already tried all the suggestions on power settings, nothing worked for me.

However I was not able to find any power setting that contorls audio/sound systems. Are there any controls on audio through power settings?

Thanks

Bijan

HP Recommended

Hello @bijans,

Thank you for the quick reply!

What were the results from uninstalling the Audio Driver, and allowing the system to search for a compatible driver?  There are no settings in the Power Management Options, that specifically targets the audio system.  If the issue is software related, then you may consider performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.  It is possible that a future update through the Windows Update, may resolve the issue as well.  Looking forward to your reply.

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi, I've been looking for a solution for this problem and found that not using the Realtek HD Audio Manager/B&O will stop the audio popping. The problem with this driver is that it makes the sound card shut itself down after 10-20 seconds of no audio output in order to conserve battery life and to our advantage, there is no way to turn this "feature" off. What you're hearing, the popping sound, is similar to headphones being placed back in since the the sound card is being rebooted. I do notice that the audio is not as great after this fix. So you have to make a choice, sacraficing a little audio quality for no popping or better audio quality and popping. I found these steps from the hp forums here, credit to SteveCT99.

1. Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
  2. In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High Definition Audio
  3. Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
  6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  7. You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
  8. In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
  9. At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window withHigh Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
  10. In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllerssection, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead ofRealtek High Definition Audio.
  11. At the prompt to reboot, click Yes

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks!

It worked. That was exactly what I was looking for. 

I am surprised how HP support had no clue and they detected as HW issue.

I think HP support has to attend some training as they were not able to suggest a working solution.

HP Recommended

Hi, I want to add that I had this same problem with a clicking noise when starting to play sounds through headphones. I tried this method described above until step 8 and there was no "High Definition Audio Device" option, the only choce was Realtek Audio. I tried it anyway, continued with the rest of the steps the same as above (there was no update driver warning box however), which aparently reinstalled and re-enabled Realtek. Clicking is still happening. Any advice on this issue if "high definition audio device" option is not available. Any ideas are appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.