Question

Tutor
mau_bozz
Message 1 of 40 (55,291 Views)
Accepted Solution

cannot change screen brightness

Hi,

I bought a dv3t-2000 two months ago and recently i installed windows 7 and i just realize that is not possible to change the brightness on the screen, is always the same. I have tried changing the power plans, I've upgraded the BIOS, but so far is not working.

I will appreciate if anybody help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance .

Maurice

Top Student
dummycakes
Message 2 of 40 (55,356 Views)

Re: cannot change screen brightness

lol. did you actualling install the drivers for your graphics?

Teacher
Davidoo
Message 3 of 40 (55,354 Views)

Not a very helpful answer "dummycakes."  This has nothing to do with the graphics driver.  Most of the HP laptops have a keyboard Function key and you can press FN + F7 to decrease and F8 to increase screen brightness.  I am getting ready to install Windows 7 myself and would like the answer to this also.  My guess that is what Maurice is talking about.  I thought I saw somewhere that you need to install the latest drivers for the Quick Launch buttons and keyboard although I don't see a keyboard driver listed anywhere under Vista or Windows 7.  There are Quick Launch drivers for both.
Tutor
mau_bozz
Message 4 of 40 (55,346 Views)

I tried all the drivers from hp but none of them solved the problem but after searching in the web i happen to find a solution to the screen brightness problem.... now everything is working the way is supposed to.

It was just matter of installing a new version of the "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" from Intel, the driver supplied by HP seems to have a problem.

Thanks anyway.

Maurice

Student
jrider
Message 5 of 40 (55,182 Views)

You solution of installing the latest drivers provided by Intel worked for me as well. Thanks for posting!

James. 

Student
BevyO
Message 6 of 40 (55,139 Views)

This solution worked for me as well. I had already downloaded the one on the HP site first, so I was perplexed.  I have probably suffered retinal damage due to my very bright screen prior to finding your post.  THANK YOU!

Student
mirzaaj
Message 7 of 40 (54,584 Views)

Yeah, that worked for me as well. I could not change the brightness, be it from the keyboard or from the power options.

I uninstalled the previous drivers and then downloaded and installed the drivers from the download center at the Intel site.

Thanks. :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
knocksto
Message 8 of 40 (54,126 Views)

i have hp dv9700 and i cant also change the sccreen brightness. can you please help me out?

Intern
1bit
Message 9 of 40 (54,085 Views)

See the above - the update you need is usually listed under Windows Update > Optional updates.

Top Student
tialoc
Message 10 of 40 (53,574 Views)

Yeah, this worked for me too. I have a dv3-2155mx and had to uninstall the HP modified driver before I could install the intel driver. At least now I can adjust the screen brightness

C'mon HP, fix this crap and fix the quick launch issues!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation