Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HP Envy Left Hinge

Hello HP,

I am deeply concerned - I bought a 17" HP envy but less than a year since

, the laptop is coming apart at the bottom near the Hinge for the screen to the left. I am afraid to open it because it makes a "pop" sound every time I open the screen.

God knows I have been extra careful with this laptop. Yopu will not find a scratch on it from bangs or things like that but am deeply scared of this 1200$ piece falling apart not even a year into my using it.

Can someone please advise where to repair this from?? I am based in Uganda but will be travelling to San Francisco and Los Angeles soon.

Please advise, am beginning to lose faith in the machine, and brand..

Jude Mukundane

[Personal Information Removed]

187 REPLIES 187
HP Recommended

Wow, my 15" HP Envy looks almost exactly the same and the hinge is no longer fixed.  I assumed the problem was because I found a screw under the laptop yesterday but when I tried to screw it back in it went through the housing and inside the computer.  Apparently the screw then caused a problem with the fan and I need a fix as well. 

I spent several hours this morning being passed back and forth between the US and Slovak companies because I'm a US customer currently located in Slovakia and according the the support desk I need to put my laptop in a box and mail it to someone in the US if I want it fixed because somehow, and god knows how this is cost effective, the fan for a computer that's sold in the US is not available in Europe. 

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer to your question, but my experience suggests you may not get service in the US unless you bought your laptop there and if someone from Support tells you they will service your computer you should check with multiple people.  The first Support person I talked to assured me the Slovak's would fix my fan when he told me to contact them, only to find out after being transferred 4 different times that in fact they won't.  

I wish you good luck getting your laptop fixed and I'll let you know if I find any decent solutions but so far all I've been able to figure out is that its likely better to spend my hard-earned money with a company that is customer centric rather than pocketbook centric.   

HP Recommended

Hi @Jim_001 , @Jude_Love ,

I have sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your private messages then this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

Thanks for visiting the HP Support Forum

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

same thing happened to me as well as the touch screen blew out. $1200 for a piece of junk. I will never be buying HP products again. I only had it for about 7 months before it started falling apart. It was given to me as a gift and they didn't get the insurance. It seems like the screen is top heavy causing it to apply pressure on the latches making them come undone. 

HP Recommended

In the end they told me I was using a US model laptop (Really? even for computers) in Uganda. They could not fix it in Uganda, they could also not fix it in the US coz I did not buy it there. I asked them why they sold me a US laptop in Uganda and they said it was the retailer's problem, not their's but nothing on the laptop advised that it was for the US market. I just went for a mac and looking back, that HP was actually half the mac experience

HP Recommended

I just got passed around in a circle for months.  While everyone acted like they were trying to be helpful, there was no communication within HP.  Everytime I got handed off to someone new they knew nothing about my situation.  I had to repeat the whole story and this happened time after time after time until I was eventually right back where I had started many months before.  I like HP products and I've owned a lot of them over the years but I don't think I've had a single customer service experience that was easy, that was clear or that was straightforward.  It is always painful.

I've never had any confusion or difficulty dealing with Apple, I got great help from Dell the one time I needed it and I even got perfect service from Amazon when I bought an HP printer from them. 

If you believe an HP product is never going to have a problem it might be worth it, but it's important to be aware that any problems will take enough time, energy and frustration to increase the price dramatically.  And if you're the type who travels or moves abroad, then its worthless.  HP seems designed to prevent anyone from taking advantage of price differences in different places and all those of us who legitimately move for work or travel frequently just get screwed because of it.

HP Recommended

Mine snapped apart too tonight and the support at Bestbuy (I actually bought it at Futureshop but Bestbuy took it over) ran out last month 😞 Did any of you ever get it fixed?

HP Recommended
The disintegrating hinge threw lots of debris insiee mine. The fun was always crunching and throwing out plastic parts. Every time i opened or closed it, i would hear plastic parts snapping. Subsequently half of my keyboard died. Much as i loved it, i had to settle for a Mac with much lower specs.
HP Recommended

I just left a post on the forum about my HP Envy 15 Touchsmart with same broken hinge. I live in US and the "support" guy sounded like India, but not sure. He took 10 minutes just to be able to repeat back to me that he understood my problem was broken hinge. There are posts all over the HP forum about broken hinges on the HP Envy series notebooks. I just wish I had seen them before buying from HP.

Best advice for anyone with an HP notebook, the moment you see or hear ANY problem with opening or closing the notebook, call for a repair while it is in warranty. From what I see, the folks who did still have it break about a year later, but you can milk if for awhile at least.

For those of you fortunate to still be looking for a notebook, Stay away from HP. They have a lot of problems and they have absolutely no support for you after. I'm typing this on a Dell, and that will be my replacement for the junk notebook I have called HP Envy Touchsmart 15

HP Recommended

@Carrie2015

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.