Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello @arunanand

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicaly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If you have already resolved your matters, please disregard this message.

Thank you
Duane_D

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
HP Recommended

Hi Arun,

I spent a lot of effort to get my HP Envy defective hinges patched, so I thought I would follow up with you on this.

The only long-term fix is to replace the laptop with another brand, but if you think you can do some disassembly, you can temporarily patch it yourself. 

Take a look at my post #14 here for some tips. 

If you drop by one of the local shops which repair cell phones, you will probably find someone comfortable working with small screws, screen covers, and connectors. Chances are, they will be willing to work on it for less than $100 if they don't need parts. I took most of mine apart myself, but was stuck at the touchscreen, so I took the dissasembled laptop to the IFix shop locally for some help. The guy there was intrigued and willing to help. About 15 min latter, I was out the door and I gave him $25 for the help.

Best thing you can do is re-attach the hinge with some epoxy, loosen the hinge and hope for the best. You can also contact HP... pay about $200. .... but you might want to still remove the touchscreen and loosen the hinges to get a bit more mileage out of it.

The HP Envy is just plain not up to any laptop user's standards as far as I know.

HP Recommended
Same issue, I have the Envy 17t-j100.
At first I started hearing bits of plastic inside, then part of the fan broke.
and now the part by the left hinge is coming apart. I invested a lot of money in this and I'm very disappointed. and my warranty has expired probably so I'm screwed.
I'd like to know how to fully open it out and see if I can at least try something. I only know how to open up that smaller panel.
I'm not sure if I even can, it's all one big thing it seems.
HP Recommended

There is a Service manual.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-17-Notebook-PC-series/6521533/model/6521534/manuals

(Make sure I pointed to your exact model, and read it before disassembly.)

HP Recommended

Same issue.  I called support and they said my warranty expired and then moved right into trying to sell me on a repair package.  After reading all this, I don't think I want a repair, as this looks like an engineering failure.  If they fix it, how long will it last?  Paying for a repair seems like good money after bad.  Too bad too, we have two HP laptops and an all in one desktop.  I hate to turn on them, but I don't think I can ever buy another one after this.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue with the same computer. Could you please PM me as well.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I finally Opened my laptop to try and fix the keyboard or get a replacement - It is then that I understood the nature of the problem.  The left and right hinges are designe differently. The right hinge has a screw farther into the latop. This I believe gives more support to the hinge and also the force directed towards this screw is not directly pulling it out. 

Right Hinge

Looking at the left side, It seems HP knew that this hinge would be problematic. It is supported by more screws than the hinge on the right. What is alarming is that all the scres have pulled loose, destroying their sockets and pulling out the rings(?) that are supposed to hold them in place. One thing though is more alarming - one screw seems to not have been screwed in. I think this was a factory error because someone has reported it before. This screw just fell inside one of those rubber studs at the bottom of the laptop. as you can see, its socket is empty and undamaged. I have a feeling this misplaced screw, coupled with the fact that the left hinge pulls the screws directly out of their sockets on opening, leads to failure particularly of the left hinge. Left Hinge

I have re-attached the screw into the only intact socket, but i know it is no match for the force that pulled out the other four screws. I am going t try and use epoxy to attach the hinge to whatever surface contact I can get, but those sockets are pretty ruined for any sort of repairs.

HP Recommended

The more I read through the forum here the more I realize that these left hinges are a serious problem.  There are many different sets of posts and I don't see that HP is taking care of any of the problems.  I think someone should bring this to the attention of the Better Business and possible the Attorney General.  At this point they are knowingly igoring the problem that exists.  

I think I will make some enquiries about how to escalate this.

HP Recommended
Yeah, it's quite sad that the hinge is connected with cheap plastic, if the hinge AND the spot where it's connected was made of metal, this wouldn't be a problem.
This is on you HP!
HP Recommended

Dealing with the exact same isssue but with my HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j102tx Notebook PC.

Going through the support channels now but don't like my luck - 12/2/14 was my "born" date.

Left hinge causing issues (keyboard comes away from the base and it just feels like a matter of time before something snaps/breaks. 

Seeing as this is my livlihood (app developer and web designer), having this thing go down on me is not good. I payed $1600 for this thinking it'd be my workhouse for at least 3 years.

In addition to this, there's the WiFi drop-out problem and the overheating issue experienced with the ENVY range (so I read now).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.