Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy 17t m7-n109dx, and have attempted the install of the Samsung EVO 850 SSD M.2 drive (500 GB).  I have BIOS version F.24 rev A, and have updated all drivers.  The BIOS never recognized the drive, and of course neither did disk management or Samsung Magician in Windows 10 64 bit.  I removed and reinstalled the drive, but got the same results.  Is anyone who has had a successful install of this SSD running the 6th generation Skylake processor?  I am at a loss as to why the drive is not recognized.  I have decided to return it and purchase another one, assuming this was just a bad m.2 stick.  If anyone has any insight on this issue, please reply and let me know.  

I have another thread on this, and am finding others with the same issue.  Mark29 and rhutchins, could you offer any advice?

HP Recommended

Just want to thank Bmer for his advice.  I did what he recommended and it worked.  On one screw I cut in the groove a little to much and when I tightened the screw the head broke but all is well.  Thanks again Bmer

HP Recommended

Has anyone tried running a samsung 950?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@ChampDuggan wrote:

Has anyone tried running a samsung 950?

Spoke to Sales support, and between them and the manuals, this model does NOT suppot a Samsung 950 Pro, it only supports SATA M.2 devices.  They directed me to the Z Book mobile workstation - those do support NVMe.

HP Recommended

jkmatthews,

I just got a 17t-n100 and am having the same issue with a Samsung 250Gb m.2 ssd.   I tried to do a recovery with the HP file on the thumb drive and it fails with a memory error.   Not sure if it is doing this because it is not seeing the ssd or if the ssd is bad.  I didn't see any way in the bios to check if it sees the ssd or not.  Have you made any progress with this?

HP Recommended

I am not sure which memory error you are getting. When I tried to use a recovery flash drive, I kept getting the error message 0xEFFFFF08. After considerable research (and lots of frustration), I discovered the error message 0xEFFFFF08 means that the flash drive is plugged into the wrong USB port on the laptop. It turns out you have to use the USB port on the left-hand side all the way to the back as you are facing the computer screen. This avoids the error message oxEFFFFF08, and everything works just fine.

HP Recommended

When I purchased my HP Envy 17T-n100, I installed a 250 GB SSD drive. In order to force the computer to recognize the SSD drive, I disconnected the cable to the SATA hard drive. I used a flash drive which had the operating system on it - which I had previously loaded onto the flash drive from the laptop before disconnecting the SATA hard drive. In other words, before I did anything, I created a recovery "disk" onto a flash drive. I, then, installed the SSD drive and disconnected the cable to the SATA hard drive. I plugged the flash drive into the USB port on the left-hand side (as you're facing the computer screen) - the USB port all the way towards the back. I discovered that it is imperative that the flash drive be plugged into a particular USB port on the laptop in order for the laptop to recognize as a recovery drive. Otherwise, I received an error message 0xEFFFFF08; after considerable research, I discovered that the error message 0xEFFFFF08 was because I did not have the flash drive inserted into the correct USB port.
You have to use a recovery disk/flash drive to format the SSD drive.
Now, I suppose if you're not going to install the operating system onto the SSD drive, you will not need to use a recovery disk/flash drive; however, you will need to format the SSD drive using your laptop.  If you're going to use an SSD drive, it is best to put the operating system onto the SSD drive in order to take advantage of the quicker speeds of the SSD drive.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

HP Recommended

I mispoke when I said memory error, I meant error message.  Looking into the issue further, it seems that HP in their wisdom changed something in the BIOS and/or motherboard of the 17t-n100s now being delivered so that third party SSDs can no longer be added to the m.2 slot or the 2nd hard drive bay if the laptop was not ordered with those components already installed.  I will be calling HP for an RMA on Monday.  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I, seriously, doubt HP precluded any third-party SSDs!  I think whoever told you that was up in the night!  I, recently (one month ago), updated my BIOS (per HP instructions), and I just installed a new SSD four days ago (a Samsung SSD).  Again, I kept getting the Error Code 0xEFFFFF08 (four days ago).  I spent about an hour on the phone with HP; the guy in India ? kept telling me he didn't know what the Error Code meant; finally, he just told me the Error Code 0xEFFFFF08 meant that I had a bad Recovery Drive (I think just to get me off the phone) - he was WRONG!  My Recovery Drive was just fine!  I did some more research and discovered that the Error Code 0xEFFFFF08, simply, meant that I needed to install my Flash Drive with the Recovery files into a different USB port - SEE HP WEBPAGE: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03967414

When I put my flash drive into a different USB port (the one on the left side all the way in the back) per the instrutions, everything worked just fine!!!  I loaded everything onto my new SSD (I had a 250G; I went to a 500G).

If you are getting the Error Code 0xEFFFFF08, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BIOS!  It, simply, means you need to use a different USB port.

I think returning your HP laptop is not the solution!  I've seen a lot of posts regarding 0xEFFFFF08 with all kinds of WRONG information - it is amazing how many people do not know what they are talking about or are making all kinds of guesses.  I've been through the experience, and I have experienced the solution - which has nothing to do with the BIOS.  Again, whoever told you the Error Code 0xEFFFFF08 has something to do with the BIOS was just GUESSING!!!

I just remembered something - this, actually, may be your solution (sorry, I had forgotten).  I had gone into the BIOS and changed the boot order; I put the USB port first!  If you need some help changing the boot order in the BIOS, let me know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.