Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am glad I am not the only person who has this issue. It is insanely frustrating. I do not know how to take apart my computer, so I am not sure what to do or who to have do this and not get ripped off. Makes long in next to impossible at timeas and same center area of the keyboard (6yhnm) 

I doubt I would buy another HP if this is so common. 

HP Recommended

Although it seems alot of the HP 14" Chromebook 2015 WM have this problem and HP refuses to do anything about it, The price of $99.00 (refurbushed) was to good a deal to pass up. I bought one and a friend bought one that was new not refurbushed, and both had the "keyboard issue" I found this post and followed the instructions of how to remove the back and refold the wide tape and have not had the problem on both chromebooks for almost a year now they work just fine, and it just took 15 minutes to complete the fix! If you send them in to HP who knows how long they will have them or what they will charge ($125.00)?

HP Recommended

h

@pampolk wrote:

I had a problem with my HP Chromebook's keys intermittently not working--the y, m, n, etc.  They would work, then not work, and it was very frustrating esp to log in b/c I could not get my password typed in.

I thought I would need a new keyboard, but my wonderful ex husband thought we should try clean and reseat the keyboard connector to the motherboard.  The top panel assembly was removed (after removing the bottom case screws)..

----see http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Chromebook-14-x000/7277301/model/7547744/product-info?lang=en...

HE cleaned the keyboard connector with isopropyl alcohol, and re-connected that connector and it worked.

This may not work for everyone, but try this b/f you buy a new keyboard.

took to computer store  and he tried cleanng etc and could not get key  i-k etc to stay on.  bought and installed a new hp keyboard and same problem, same keys.

HP Recommended

This fix (Gurner 10-18-15 from above) worked like a charm! Yes 13 screws. 4 hidden under the feet tabs and tiny corner tabs. Hint: to remove the bottom after all screws are out, there are little tabs along the edge that need to pop apart. Gently is fine but they are there. Also to get the edge along the hinge, I had to lift the screen away from the keyboard. This allows the keyboard to be tilted up away from the bottom once all the little tabs have been popped open along the edge. Be careful not to pull the keyboard up to far too quick. I did not refold the wide ribbon wire, I simply placed a folded piece of tape between it and the metal support bar to pad it a bit and keep the bar from pressing into that kinked segment. SUPER EASY! Now I can type again! YAY! THANK YOU!

HP Recommended

My chromebook is fixed, thanks to my grandson.  First I took it to a computer store,  He replaced keyboard.  Got it home and it did not work.    

My grandson took it apart, checked it out and set the keyboard back in and it worked for a minute then did not.  So he figured it out that it was the straps at the connection.  He refolded and shortened the wide strap a little and taped it and the keys have been working ever since.    Thank you 

HP Recommended

My chromebook is fixed, thanks to my grandson.  First I took it to a computer store,  He replaced keyboard.  Got it home and it did not work.    

My grandson took it apart, checked it out and set the keyboard back in and it worked for a minute then did not.  So he figured it out that it was the straps at the connection.  He refolded and shortened the wide strap a little and taped it and the keys have been working ever since.    Thank you 

HP Recommended

Awesome post! This worked perfectly on a customer's chromebook. Kudos to you, sir. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.