Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the laptop "HP ProBook 455 G8" and would like to upgrade RAM to 64GB (2x32GB). I saw some configurations sold by e.g Amazon having such RAM capacity.

The official website says that laptop supports DDR4-3200 SDRAM modules.

I found these "G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHz" (SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 MHz / Non-ECC, Un-registered (un-buffered) / 1.2V) and would like to ask for a confirmation that they'd work.

If anyone tried such modules, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

If they have the CL18 timing specs, it is highly unlikely that they will work.

F4-3200C18D-32GRS - G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd. (gskill.com)

Your notebook needs to use the standard DDR4-3200 memory that HP installed with the standard CL22 timing specs.

You can see this discussion for the reason why I believe this.

Solved: Re: RAM UPGRADE - Pavilion - 16-A0009nh - HP Support Community - 8602603

Before you run out and buy 2 x 32 GB of memory, you may want to do this to confirm how much memory your notebook can support:

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and hit enter.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

The Crucial memory report for the model series does indicate that 64 GB of memory is supported.

HP - Compaq ProBook 455 G8 | Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

Apologies, I didn't mention full specs of those modules, it should be F4-3200C22S-32GRS https://www.gskill.com/product/2/197/1594018932/F4-3200C22S-32GRS with CL22 timing.

The command you suggested returned 33554432, so I guess just 32 gigs.

It's quite strange that Crucial mentions 64 GB, and also I found for example this config having 64 GB: https://www.amazon.com/HP-ProBook-Business-1920x1080-Bluetooth/dp/B0B73WM3SX

I have this exact version with 5600U.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The G.Skill CL22 memory probably will work then.

I couldn't find any posts on this forum where someone has installed 64 GB of memory in the 455 G8, so I have no references to provide where it is guaranteed to work.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi all,

sending an update if anyone else is interested.

I decided to take a stab and go for RAM modules I mentioned before - F4-3200C22S-32GRS https://www.gskill.com/product/2/197/1594018932/F4-3200C22S-32GRS with CL22 timing, put 2x 32GB modules into the laptop and after accepting some warning message the system booted into Windows and Ubuntu without issues.

Some info from vmstat:

$ vmstat -s
     65144484 K total memory
     18759036 K used memory
      2708452 K active memory
     23376928 K inactive memory
     36922152 K free memory
       427840 K buffer memory

I guess that 2GB are consumed by integrated graphics card.

HP Recommended

Thanks Martin_64 for the info and for posting it.

The Gskills have been giving grief to users of several HP models here on the forum, so I'm glad Paul_Tikkanen EXPERT Level 21's advice worked out. Recently we've had two members with HP Amd laptops return the exact same RAM and get the officially compatible Samsung modules https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Victus-16-e0262nw-runs-64GB.... The problems seem to occur more frequently on laptops that don't support 64GB RAM according to their manuals. Like your 455G8.

Anyways, luck is certainly a factor in these cases! Indeed 2GB is the maximum Vram that can be reserved by the BIOS for the Vega8s, but I've never seen a HP firware that actually sets this high value. Strange....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.