Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4195dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought the HP Spectre x360 13-4195dx (13" convertible Laptop), and have updated the BIOS and windows 10. I always disable the "tap to click" feature of the laptop, but everytime i  restart the laptop, the tap to click reenables itself. I've tried to create a profile in the synaptics settings but that doesnt work either. Has anyone figured out how to permanently disable this feature?

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've found it!!!

For any one looking for a solution to permanently disable the synaptics tap to click....

go to windows registry (search for regedit)

expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

expand "SOFTWARE"

expand "SYNAPTICS"

expand "SynTP"

Click on "Install"

Under "Install" double click on "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" and change the value data from "1" to "0"

this will make it so that when u restart your HP, your tap to click stays disabled.

Becareful with the windows registry, if you dont know what your doing and you start to change values on things you shouldnt it can adversely affect your system.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @chronicvader,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the touchpad tap to click. I will be glad to help you.

This Synaptics touchpad Tap to Click disabling only works during the time you are going to be using your computer. Once you reboot your computer, the Tap to Click will return to it's default touchpad clicks, you will need to re-disable it again if you don't want your palms clicking every link.

Please keep me informed of how things went and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 🙂

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the help Tardis, but this doesnt help at all. Every desktop or laptop i have ever owned, I have been able to permanently disable tap to click. The fact that i have to disable it everytime I restart the spectre x360 is unacceptable. I will have to find another solution.

HP Recommended

I've found it!!!

For any one looking for a solution to permanently disable the synaptics tap to click....

go to windows registry (search for regedit)

expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

expand "SOFTWARE"

expand "SYNAPTICS"

expand "SynTP"

Click on "Install"

Under "Install" double click on "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" and change the value data from "1" to "0"

this will make it so that when u restart your HP, your tap to click stays disabled.

Becareful with the windows registry, if you dont know what your doing and you start to change values on things you shouldnt it can adversely affect your system.

HP Recommended

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  What genius thought that people wanted to re-do their touchpad settings every time they reboot the computer?

May as well just go ahead and format the hard drive every time someone reboots as well.  Just re-install the software you want every time you boot up!  That makes about as much sense.

HP Recommended
I didn't find this helped solve the problem. I have since restarted my spectre several times and the touchpad is not disabled upon restart. Is there another solution?
HP Recommended

@SeanCurrent

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you want to disable the "tap to click" feature from your laptop,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Is there a particular reason you want to get rid of it?

(Curious to know)

While you respond to that, have you attempted the below steps:

On the right side of the bottom, taskbar click on the NOTIFICATIONS icon, then click on ALL SETTINGS. Click on PERSONALIZATION, then THEMES. The last option under RELATED SETTINGS is MOUSE POINTER SETTINGS, select it. Then click on the last tab called DEVICE SETTINGS and again on SETTINGS.

A new window will open up with the mouse pointer options. Uncheck TAPPING and you're all done.

If the issue persists, please create a new user account (with admin rights) and let me know if the steps mentioned on the same thread worked on the new account.

Keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. Actually, what I want is to permanently disable the touchpad completely. I don't use touchpads and I using a mouse instead. I've not been able to figure out a way to completely disable the touchpad on my new HP spectre without it coming back on at restart. 

HP Recommended

@SeanCurrent

Thank you for the clarification,

Follow the below steps and should be good to go 🙂 

1.  On some touchpads, you can turn on or off the Touchpad by double tapping in the upper left corner of the Touchpad. Double tap to turn the Touchpad on, repeat to turn the Touchpad off. 

2. Perform a hard reset by following the steps in the HP document Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset (in English). A hard reset clears the driver instructions. Your computer rereads all instructions from the drivers and software stored in the Operating System which can solve some problems. 

3. Be sure you have the latest drivers for your Touchpad. Use the following steps to install the latest drivers. 

1. Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads web page. Enter your computer model number and then click Go. 

2. Select your computer model from the list of results. 

3. Select your operating system from the drop-down menu and then click Next. 

4. Scroll down to select the driver category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices. 

5. Click the Download button next to the appropriate TouchPad or ClickPad driver. The file downloads to your Downloads folder 

6. Open your Downloads folder and double-click to install the latest driver. Follow on-screen instructions to complete the installation. 

4. Return the computer to a software configuration when the TouchPad was working by restoring the system to a time when the touchpad was working correctly.

For more information go to Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10 and 😎

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.