Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After I have been using spectre x360 for a couple weeks, I noticed that the hinge is quite loose particularly at 90 to 180 degrees. And I can wobble it at some point without using any force. Moreover, when I hold the base while the screen is more than 90 degrees and shake the notebook a little bit, the screen will bend far to the back. It looks like the hinge is too loose and can not hold the weight of the screen. Is there any way to tighten it?

Thanks.

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

@johster

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I am experiencing a similar issue.  There's two possible issues I am seeing both related to the hinge, maybe the same issues.

1) there is a dead spot where there is no friction (best word I can think of) when moving from one diretion to the other (like its between two gears with big teeth), and like mentioned above the screen itself appears to be a little too loose.  If I have it at say 110-120° on my lap and scoot back in my seat the screen will sometimes it will start to flatten out.  It seems it doesn't have a lot of "stay" power once you put it in position.

I've had it since the middle of April 2015

HP Recommended

@dmtalon,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

"there is a dead spot where there is no friction (best word I can think of) when moving from one direction to the other" (from dmralon)

This is exactly the issue that I'm having and I noticed this from the first day.

I think many units are prone to this problem. The unit from reseller showroom, where I bought it my, manifested a loose hinge as well but not this "dead spot".

In my case the problem seems to be located in screen part of the hinge.

HP Recommended

@electrobit

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I would like to add. My issue is not the stability of the hinge. It is pretty tight. However, it is the bottom casing of the laptop. Both units that I got now there is some give when I click. On the first laptop, it was in the area with the FCC text above the ventilation holes. On the second laptop, it is now on the left side of the laptop under the SD card slot.

To be sure, I checked this when I received the exchanged unit, that there is no give in the casing. After some use, there is some give on the bottom of the laptop (when you squeeze it). I don't think there are loose parts, but I am not sure if heat plays a factor. After all, these areas are exactly where the laptop would be warm when it heats up (around the ventilation holes). I don't think there are loose screws or loose parts, but I don't know why it would make that sound. Just a minor issue (but hoping it won't become major in the future).

HP Recommended

I just received my laptop back from the hp repair service which took almost a week. The problem is not solved at all. I can still wobble at some working degree around 110. And it will flatten out at angles lower than 30 degrees or higher than 330 degrees.

HP Recommended

I've only gotten the inital PM which had me email them all the information of my laptop.  No response since then (which has been I guess a week or so).  

Your response doesn't give me good hope that they have a solution for this 😞  It's not *terrible* but this is the first premium laptop I've ever bought and I would expect it to live up to those standards.

HP Recommended

Hi

I have this problem too. Did HP fix it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.