Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I'm having a problem with my laptop that I've never had before. As it says in the title, I have an HP Pavilion dv6700. I was using it today, for nothing different than I usually do (an MMO, internet, and msn), and it randomly turned off. I blinked and tried to turn it back on. All the lights turned on, then it shut off again. So I thought it might have overheated and took out the battery, and waited until it was cooled off to turn it back on. For a bit it stayed on, told me to scan during startup, which I agreed to. In the middle of scan it shut off again. Now it won't even get that far, it just turns on for a split second and then turns off.

I looked at the help section, but it didn't seem to help me. It referred to lights blinking, and none of my lights are blinking at all. They all light up as if it's going to start, then all die at once. No deviation from that. Is there anything I can possibly do?

150 REPLIES 150
HP Recommended

My DV6748 is doing the exact same thing. I have removed the battery, unplugged it, and it will start to power on, the fan will come on, and within 2 seconds... nothing. It goes through this process continually.

HP Recommended

I have a DV6910 that is exhibiting this same behavior.

You are correct, this is not an overheat issue. Mine shut off in the beginning of December, and has not fully booted since. There is NO WAY this is an overheat issue.

I have been on the phone multiple times with HP about this issue, they are unwilling thus far to extend the warranty.

A search of the forums will reveal there are at least a dozen others with laptops in the 6xxx series with this same problem. Every time I come here I see at least one new post on this issue.

Wish I could offer some advice, I am just hoping the more of us that post, the more inclined HP will be to fix these lemons.

HP Recommended

Hi Kivri,

Please try to click this link and look for the specific type of problem that your notebook is having.

Thanks

Click on the Kudos to say "Thanks"

Please click on the "Kudos" link to say thanks

It all starts from an idea... and then everything else follows..
HP Recommended
Hi, unfortunately that document (or any other document on the HP site) does not list the problem as far as I can tell. Sounds like a bad batch with a timebomb as my laptop broke 2weeks ago with exactly the same symptoms. Has anyone had any success in determining the issue? Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks
HP Recommended

Exact same problem with dv6700. I spoke extensively with HP support, but because this model is not under the recall, basically "touch luck". New motherboard will cost $375. There's no way I'd replace the motherboards for that cost since it'll go bad again and I can buy a much better refurbed Gateway for around $400!!!!

They say "award winning" HP support??  I've explained to the support that all these users are having the EXACT same problem.... but apparently, as long as it's not in the recall list, we're on our own.

Man, this stinks. I promise this is my first and LAST hp purchase. 

HP Recommended

This is my laptop that I barely have used for 2 years since I also have a desktop.  It failed to start one month after the warranty run out.   I bought it Costco, so it had an additional one year warranty.  Called HP and they told me that it would be over $325+shipping to have it fixed!  I rather buy a new one that have another failure with an HP after spending more money to fix it.  I heard this series was faulty.  Does anyone know if there has been a recall?

HP Recommended

Same problem. Powers up for about 1 second then powers down and this will repeat over and over. Took out the battery, memory modules, hard drive, and dvd drive. Just another HP paperweight.

HP Recommended
My cousin was able to repair my laptop, however, it only lasted a month before it started doing the same thing again. He said it was a chipset issue. He said that he reset the Bios and repaired Windows, although I am unsure what that means. Now, I am seriously wondering if this was caused by the Nvidia problem...

HP Recommended

My Pavilion dv6700 just shut down 10 mins ago and will not come back on even after removing the battery.

Checked this forum for some direction, but doesn't seem like any resolution at this time.

Anyone have any new thoughts? Hate to just trash it. Never had any problems until today.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.