Laptop Charger Plugged In But Not Charging (135895 Views)
Top Student
SuShiL_79
Message 1 of 25 (135,895 Views)
Accepted Solution

Laptop Charger Plugged In But Not Charging

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought a hp pavilion dv6-6154tx laptop in last month.my laptop developed a peculiar problem. When I connect my charger to it, it starts charging but after sometime it stops and the battery icon shows "Plugged in, not charging". Then after some time it again starts.

Sudroid.co.cc

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 25 (135,891 Views)

Re: Laptop Charger Plugged In But Not Charging

Hi

Please try these steps might help you to resolve your issue.

1) Go to HP website and update the Bios on the unit.

2) Calibrating the Notebook Battery

3) How to Improve the Performance of the Battery

4) Checking the Status of the Battery

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 25 (135,891 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is a BIOS update available that is specifically for the intermittent charging issue. I recommend installing it.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
mark2015
Message 4 of 25 (135,164 Views)

I have the same problem before, and I also buy the replacement for my Laptop Charger, i bought mine in www.genuinebatteries.com, and until now it doesn't give me any headaches in terms of its functioning. maintaining of good functioning of your laptop and its charger is on your hand, know some tips on how you maintain the proper functioning of it.

Honor Student
tufftommy86
Message 5 of 25 (134,712 Views)

In all of these forums, I have not seen a recommendation to update the BIOS. I have done everything else. I have a g7-340US that I purchased a little over a year ago, warranty is expired, and the indicator says that it's plugged in, charging, but no change in amount of battery. I purchased a new battery, and it does not charge that one either. I did the HP Support Battery and it says I have to Calibrate the battery, but if I have 5% life, it wouldn't calibrate. I uninstalled the ACPI Battery, followed the instructions, and still no results. I have resigned that perhaps the charging circuitry on the mobo has failed, until I found your recommendation to update the BIOS, I will f/u tonite or tomorrow on the update. THANKS!!!!

Student
Clyde2012
Message 6 of 25 (128,557 Views)

I'm a repair tech, and it sounds like one of three things:

1. Battery itself no longer functions

2. Laptop Charger has inadequate amperage

3. The motherboard is defective (most likely).

If you have another battery, or a friend with the same battery, you can try that first (and someone else's laptop charger).

If the problem is the motherboard, you can try to have it repaired but I don't trust many companies to do this kind of work.  I outsource my motherboard jobs to a company called Laptop Rescue (http://www.laptoprescue.com/laptop-repair-2/).  Coincidentally, they also sell laptop chargers in case that's the problem.  Hopefully it's just a charger or battery issue and not a mobo.

Good luck.

Student
blacktigerclaw
Message 7 of 25 (123,446 Views)

my g7 did the same thibg this morning, updated bios and now it seems to have cured the prob

Student
The_LT
Message 8 of 25 (121,466 Views)

I am having a smilar problem with my hp pavilion g4 laptop and the bios update did not seem to work

Student
MG117
Message 9 of 25 (117,626 Views)

What should I do if I cannot download the update (I get a warning message "Cannot Check Platform ID")?

Help please!

Honor Student
Aw13
Message 10 of 25 (97,406 Views)

I tried to download the BIOS, but it keeps saying error: could not obtain ID

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation