Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 - g121wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Screen goes dark, not pitch black like it's all the way off, just dark with a backlight glow to it.  Pressing keys will not bring it back, but whatever I was working on will be affected by keystrokes, so the computer still functions.  The display simply does not show until I restart.  (meaning, I can do things on the computer, but I can't see what's going on)

My power and display settings are set to "never turn off" (yes, on everything)

As an experiment, I set the computer and display to "sleep with I close the lid".  The next time the display went dark, I closed the lid, then reopened.  The screen was still dark, but pressing the spacebar DID recover the screen.  My programs were still waiting for me exactly where I left off typing.

I have contacted technical support twice.  We have double checked the sleep and power settings.  We have updated the  BIOS.  We have updated the GPU drivers.

Now they are telling me to completely recover Win10 (lose all data), because they don't know what to do.

I doubt this will fix the problem, so I am looking for ideas.  I thought it might be a heating issue, but the temps look normal and I run the laptop on a hard surface to keep the vents open.

New laptop under warranty.  Purchased July 31, 2016.  Problem existed from the beginning.

anyone willing to help me tackle this issue before I chuck it back to HP as a lemon? 

This should not be happening on a brand new laptop.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi@JustB,

Thanks for choosing HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Display goes black randomly. Is that right?

I would like to help you.

I appreciate the steps and solutions you have already tried. At this point in time, I can suggest you 2 things to diagnose the issue.

• Perform Diagnostics on the complete system using the HP PC hardware diagnostics following the link below.

http://hp.care/2bjZGry

• Also, try booting the PC to BIOS screen and leave the PC with the BIOS screen on and check if the issue happens in BIOS as well. That helps narrow down the cause of it. If the issue persists even in BIOS, it could be a hardware issue and if it doesn’t, then it could be a software issue.

Hope it helps.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!​​​​​​​

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I will give that a shot and report back to this thread!

Thanks Resolv_S for responding!

~JustB

HP Recommended

What driver version you have in Device Manager under your graphic card properties?
My screen sometimes goes black intermittently, sometimes the image displayed on the screen slide to right and then goes black.
This happens only on battery.
I've disabled the automatic panel update feature and advanced power saving under Intel Graphic Settings, and looks like the problem isn't showing again.
I want to test it for longer time.

HP Recommended

Hi@JustB,

I thank you for the reply.

Is the PC working fine now?

Hope this helps. Kindly update the status.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

It was still doing it.  I tried the fixes posted here with no success.  I got a followup phone call from someone at HP, but I could not fully understand their English in the message.

Thanks for your help.  I'll just return the machine.  If that doesn't work, I'll try stripping it and running linux and see if that fixes it.

Either way, I likely won't be buying another HP laptop.  I hope others don't have this issue.

JustB

HP Recommended

It has been around 3 years since your last message here and I see that similar problems still happen with HP laptops. I just bought a new one and the same problem. While looking for an online solution first before sending it to repair service, I have come across so many posts like this. Just feeling sad for myself because of not doing enough research before buying.

HP Recommended

@srdrtkn,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • What is the operating system you are using?
  • What is the exact issue you are facing?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your reply regarding the solution of the black screen problem. Here are the details:

Laptop model: HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce31na

Operating system: windows 10

The problem: It is the same mentioned in the top comment on this page. Although I bought this laptop last month, I have had this problem very often. The screen intermittently goes blank for one or less than one second. It does not cause a big problem but a new laptop should not make something like this. I also might cause a bigger problem in the future. Once the same happened, the screen remained completely blank and I could move the cursor but could not do anything else including going to task manager or putting it into sleep mode (this happened just once). I had no other choice but forced it to shut down by pressing the power button. Regarding an external hardware, I am just using a cable mouse and sometimes a usb drive but I do not think that it is due to these. I have not performed any troubleshooting steps yet but just searched online for similar problems and saw that it is quite common. I am looking forward to your suggestions regarding the problem.

Thanks for your time.

Best,

Serdar

HP Recommended

@srdrtkn,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.