Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion G6 with a Ralink RT5390 802.11/b/g/n WiFi Adapter and a Realtek PCIe Family Controller.  I am using a D-Link WBR-1310 router.

When I conntect to WiFi or using a LAN the computer will shut down and reboot. The problem has gotten progressively worse and it is to the point now that the shutdown is immediately after the internet connection is made.

I have updated the drivers for the RT5390 and the Family Controller (which was a feat in itself as I don't have much time before the computer will shutdown) and it has resolved the problem.  I have also tried disabling and enabling the drivers (which allows me to connect to the internet for about a minute before the compter will shut down).

I am out of ideas at this point.  Any and all help is appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I understand that the system will shutdown after an Internet connection is made.  Is this after it connects to the network or after an Internet connection is established?

If you put it into a clean boot state, does it still shutdown?

Do you get any messages prior to it shutting down?

Issues like this typically point to an infection if not a driver issue which has already been updated.  Have you scanned the system for any malware using a scanner such as Malwarebytes?  There are others, but it seems that Malwarebytes is pretty popular.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

The reboot occurs just after the laptop establishes a connection to the network (no explorer window needs to be opened). 

There are no warning messages prior to the laptop rebooting.

This past week I have noticed that the laptop has worked twice where it did not reboot.  No special programs were turned on/off when the laptop worked.

As I am typing this out on my archaic PC, the laptop is in its infinite loop of rebooting.

HP Recommended

An infinite boot loop is a little different than rebooting when a network connection is made.

Is it able to get into Windows at all?  If so, does the issue still occur in a clean boot mode?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
I apologize for not responding to posts sooner.

The infinite boot loop only occurs when the internet connection is left on. If I turn off the WiFi the laptop operates normally (with the exception of the ability to get on the internet).

Clean boot mode did nothing to solve the problem.
HP Recommended

If the wifi card is disabled, does it still happen with an Ethernet cable connected?

Signature
HP Recommended
I too am having the exact same problem and would like help. Some please help me. My computer is starting to frustrate me.
HP Recommended

The same is happening to me... The following is what I sent to HP...

HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook PC
Product # LW172UA#ABA
Serial # {Personal Information Removed}

I am running Windows7 Home Premium Edition (64bit) SP1. My laptop logs off/shuts down when
connected to a network or the internet. Whether it be wireless or direct. When directly connected it
shows as connected, but if I try to access anything, it shuts down. I did notice that the device mgr is
loading 2 drivers for the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter. And yes, I've already uninstalled them
and on reboot, they reloaded... really need some help here... thx

HP Recommended

The laptop will reboot with the wifi driver disabled and having only the cable connected.

I have noticed that if I let the laptop reboot between 7 - 10 times, the problem seems to fix itself and the reboots stop.

HP Recommended

What happens if you boot using the Last Known Good Configuration?

This can be done by turning the unit on and pressing the F8 key about once a second to get the Last Known Good Configuration on an advanced boot menu.

Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.