Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Updated- Good for when the wireless radio has failed, to convert a wired Ethernet Printer to wireless or you want your printer to support higher wireless security like WPA2.

Update - Connecting to a hotel/motel/school dorm may not work if the the network is using Enterprise authentication asking for a Username and  Password on your computer. 

This article will attempt to explain how to connect your wireless devices, including printers, to a wireless network when you are away from home.  The issue when you are in a hotel, motel, dorm room or other areas, is your computer connects just fine but your wireless printer, that you brought with you, has connection/security problems.  Other wireless people/devices may find the printer on an open network, connect to the printer and start printing for no reason just because ‘they can do it’.  

What you will need is a small Wireless Travel Router.  The TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N Nano Router or other travel router is all you need.  The WR702N is available on eBay or Amazon for only $21.00, that’s right, only 21 bucks. 

This device does not support Enterprise authentication systems as it cannot answer any username and password prompts from these system like your computer can.  However it will connect to a standard WPA SSID and your computer but if you recieve a browser page redirect for addtional questions it will not work.

It is a small powerful travel router that has built into it 5 modes of operation (more than your home router can do):

1. AP Mode
  2. Client Mode
  3. Repeater Mode
  4. Router Mode
  5. Bridge Mode

The TP-WR702N information is located here:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N#over

To see the overview of the applications see here first to understand:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N#app

I am not going to go into great detail on how to set these modes up in the TP Link Nano Router as the manual does a fine job.  One thing you have to remember is that you need to set a static IP on your computers wired Ethernet connection to access the internal Web GUI of the Nano.  The Nano is configured with an Ethernet cable at all times.  This is for safety as the router has DHCP disabled so if you connect to a network, you won’t crash it with an IP conflict.  The Nano is powered by a USB cable and comes with an AC USB adapter too.

The IP of the Nano is 192.168.0.254 by default.  Set your computers Ethernet Port, not wireless adapter, to a static IP 192.168.0.1, DNS 255.255.255.0.  You’re going to have to find out how to do this yourself, but it is explained in the manual and on the web for the Operating System of your computer. 

This leaves your Ethernet wired connection at a static IP and your wireless adapter at DHCP.  Don’t forget to set your wired connection back to DHCP if you need to use it later for a wired connection.  Plug in the Ethernet cable from your computer to the Nano router.

Bring up your browser by going to 192.168.0.254 (IP of the Nano) in the address bar and you will be presented with the login screen for Username and Password.  The default username and password is admin/admin, which you can change if needed.

Set the Nano to Bridge Mode:

Other modes will be mentioned later but for now; Bridge Mode will be used as this isolates and creates your own private SSID from the Hotel/motel/dorm room open wireless network SSID.  In Bridge Mode you will input and connect to the hotels SSID (with paraphrase) AND set up your own small network with your own SSID and password.  Your SSID will be separate and protected via WPA2-AES security that you set up.   You will be able to go online normally just fine, but all your devices will now connect to your private SSID.

Example:

Hotel SSID:  HILTON                Hotel Paraphrase/password:   GUEST

Nano SSID:  MYNETWORK       Nano Paraphrase/password:  HP5514

With this information, the rest is easy.  You set your Private SSID/Password first, they you have to find and connect to the hotels SSID/password.  Simply click the SURVEY button and a list of all available networks will be displayed along with their MAC addresses.  Find the network SSID you want connect (bridge) too and click ‘connect’.  Information is filled in automatically.  I suggest you also change your wireless channel to a fixed channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’. 

Save your settings and you will be told to reboot the router.  Follow the instructions and always reboot the router after any change to take effect.  This Nano reboots in about 20 seconds.

Now on your computer when you scan for available networks, you will see MYNETWORK.  Connect your computer to this SSID and enter your password HP5514 and you are on!  Start surfing or whatever.

Now, how about your printer?  The printer must be set to DHCP and assuming you have a wireless printer with front panel:

1. Go to the Wireless Setup (Wizard) screen. 
  2. Scan for available networks.
  3. Select: MYNETWORK
  4. Enter your password: HP5514
  5. Connect!

In about 15 seconds you are connected!   Oh, guess what?  The Nano has a WAN/LAN port and in Bridge mode it is a LAN port connected to your Network too!  So plug in a hardwired Ethernet printer/computer if you want.

Your printer will function like normal with no changes at all.  I set this up in my house to test it and it connected perfectly to my HP5514 wireless printer.  All the tools, diagnostics, printer functions, ink alerts were normal. 

You are done!

The below can be used anywhere to create a private LAN so you and others can use your printer.

Now, how about some changes?  If at home you can use the Nano in Repeater mode to connect to your own network and extend the range of all devices.  Same as the Bridge mode, but you are on your network using your normal SSID and Password so everybody can use the printer. 

Don’t worry about what you have heard with speed running a router in Repeater Mode.  Most home routers when running in wireless repeater mode must be set to no encryption or WEP only.  The max speed here is 54Mbps.  This Nano runs at full speed of 150Mbps in these modes using the highest security WPA2-AES (Personal).   

Please remember the size is small, so it’s good to about 50 feet maybe more.  Streaming HD video was flawless and surfing watching video news at the same time was perfect.

I hope this help you when on business or vacation.  Some hotels charge for EACH device connection.  With the set up above, only one charge is needed for multiple devices, like cell phone, iPads, Kindle Fires, computers or whatever you want to connect. 

EDIT- Remember that this Nano unit has one Ethernet connection that once configured, you can use to connect a wired computer or a wired Ethernet Printer.  This is good if your printer's wireless radio has failed, to convert a wired Ethernet Printer to wireless or you want your printer to support higher wireless security like WPA2.

Have fun!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Read here on how to try to connect your wireless printer to a network requesting additional security and information (username and password).

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-to-connect-your-wireless-printer-to...

Most likely you will not be able to connect.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Thanks, but probably too complicated for my 77-year old friend who had a stroke 7 years ago.  I think I'll advise her to buy a wireless printer.

HP Recommended

How would I onnect a chromebook to an Envy 4500 e printer when the network is also encrypted at university?

(without buying a router) 

(some girl I met said she had the same problem and solved it by turning the printer into basically a modem that communicated with the chromebook directly whilst allowing the chromebook to remain connected to the internet)

HP Recommended
What your friend is talking about is Wireless Direct. Yes your printer supports that connection. Just read your manual on page 56 on how to connect and set it up.
HP Recommended

she also owned a chromebook. Wireless direct is pointless for a chromebook as the chromebook has to be disconnected from the internet (meaning you can't access anything on it anymore)

HP Recommended
That is correct. You can print using Wireless Direct OR be in the Internet, not both.
HP Recommended
Will this work for a school district? I'm able to connect to wifi on my phone but have to enter my user name and password. However my HP envy printer needs to connect to wifi for instant ink program. It shows connected but when try to eprint it says not connected. If I do this router thing and log in would it work. I'm using a usb for now but to do instant ink I need it to connect or it was a waste. Thanks!
HP Recommended

Read here on how to try to connect your wireless printer to a network requesting additional security and information (username and password).

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Networking-and-Wireless/How-to-connect-your-wireless-printer-to...

Most likely you will not be able to connect.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.