Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just like to add my voice to those with the same problem. C309a wireless failed 16 months after purchase. Reset, pulling plug, etc. will not get it working again. Now left with $250 xerox and fax machine that won't connect to a home network.  Clearly bad manufacturing.

HP Recommended

This did the trick for me

HP Recommended

There's been an ebay seller offering the wireless card at a good price. I bought one installed it in 5 min and was back online.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390348636276

Good luck.

Jerry

HP Recommended

Ok techs, I'm one of the number of people that have problems with the wireless going out.  Of course, warranty ended two weeks ago.  Anyway, found an old HP C309 (mine is a C309a) from the computer recycle place which they sold me for $5 to take the wireless card out of.  First questions is will it work because I don't even know if we are talking the same card, I just took a chance.  Second question is, where is it?  It is not in the same place as the C309a. 

HP Recommended

So, I had the same problem as all the rest on this forum...  Several times my wireless would go out and wouldn't be able to find my network....if I rebooted then sometimes it worked and then I had to start doing the #6, #3 resets....and then it would work, till after about 14 months (just after warranty, of course)...it wouldn't come back and this last time I got the USB error, as well.

So I called HP Support who agreed to try and troubleshoot for free...it was a frustrating couple of hours...I am incredibly proficient with networking and PCs...(e.g. build my own, IT Security savvy, etc.) and although I'll give the person on the phone credit for hanging in there...and finding a work-arounnd---sort of, it was a grueling, frustrating couple of hours.  She argued with me about fixing software...she refused to look at this forum (I sent her the link several times) and tried to get me to sign a service plan....when I asked her if I signed, would they send me a new printer?  She said it was only for software....I said, you see this is a hardware problem, no?  She agreed, but still thought I should get the plan.....which of course, I didn't.  I also told the manager, who she asked that I speak to that no more HP printers for me.  This was even before they fired their 3 or 4th CEO in a row...(can anyone remember the last HP CEO not ousted?...good bar room trivia question)...

The work around was to use a USB cable and the software and force my laptops wireless settings to the printer....which worked, until you reboot the printer.  So, it shows that some of the wireless functionality still works, it's just that the card goes sort of half-out to lunch.

Anyway, I hooked up an ethernet cable (hard-wired) to the router, but my printer is sort of far....and it was annoying.

I then ordered from the link a few posts above (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390348636276) Prime Electronics, I think...and for about 12+put $9 shipping....I got a new wireless card and followed the previous instructions and I changed the card in about 2 minutes and rebooted (obviously you should take the power out of the printer or at least turn it off when doing this work) and VOILA! works like a charm....

So pardon the rant above...the question I was heading to is really.....has anyone changed cards (and $30 total vs. buying a whole new printer is a great deal) and then had the 2nd one blow out the same way?  Am I buying myself another year or so or is this batch of wireless cards, better?

Any thoughts?

And also, in closing....Thank you to all the posters that gave advice...especially ashechief....you are the man.

--Jeff

HP Recommended

Jeff,

Glad that fixed you up.  Just to let those know the card that I got to replace the original is still working.  It has been about 10 months.  finding the cards seem to be the challenge.  I am amazed that this thread has survived this long, and has gotten to 14 pages.  good luck to all that find this thread, and I hope it helps them

HP Recommended

I replaced mine as mentioned a few posts back..i paid a bit more but it came with a 90day warrenty and was new.Anyway..its working fine again,so replacing the wifi card is the way to go and cheaper than buying anything else on the market with the features of this printer.BUT..I will never buy another HP produce again..PERIOD.

HP Recommended

Yup...no more HP....I almost bought an Epson (I think Workforce 800, if memory serves), but chose this C309a as I saw it in Sam's Club for a much better price....I should have figured.

What's really staggering is that this thread is on the HP (I am assuming moderated?) site not some 3rd party hardware and IT site....it's an HP site and there's 14 pages (and counting) of people having issues and rather than post a recall or have something on their website offering a free replacement card and thereby probably ensuring customer loyalty...they are OK just letting us figure this out on our own.

Very frustrating...

Oh well....I'll cross my fingers that this card holds out long term.

HP Recommended

For those looking to replace the part I picked up one today for $20 bucks.

go here   pime electronics 1800 707 8160  www.primelec.com 

HP Recommended

Just installed my new wifi card and now I'm good to go

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.