Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet F380
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear Reader,

I have a problem with my printer for a few days now. The printer worked fine before i reset my computer. I realize it is a (very) old model but I never had any problems with it untill now. 

After the reset I tried to reinstall the drivers with no success. The installation keeps shutting down at the last stages of the set-up. When the set-up prompts me to connect my printer, this is where the set-up 'crashes'. After connecting the printer it hangs for quite some time at the 'Configuring your device' screen. This is where the set-up continues for a few more minutes before it crashes, showing me a 'Fatal error'. You can see the error messages at the end of the post. I have no idea what to do anymore as I tried almost anything I know. Even the uninstall wizard crashes, forcing me to uninstall the driver manually.

I tried the following:

- Reinstalled the software (multiple times)

- Deleted the locations of the files manually

- Deleted the registery values

- Removed the printer from device manager

- Ran a registery cleaner (CCleaner)

The printer works with the standard driver Windows installs for printers. The HP Deskjet F300 All-in-One driver doesn't work. I can't get it to finish the installation. The version I used was 14.8.0 released on 25 aug. 2014.

I apoligize for spelling errors, English is not my main language.

Thank you in advance!

Pictures:

Error 1

hp error.PNG

Error 2

hp error2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@NeverLucky,

Thanks for the response.

This seems like an operating system issue.

I request you to perform recovery and check if you will be able to reinstall the printer driver again.

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@NeverLucky

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I  understand that you have an HP Deskjet F300 All-in-One Printer and the installation fails during the final stage. This happened after you reset your computer and since then the printer does not install. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I suggest you not to connect the USB cable before you receive a prompt on the computer screen during the installation. If the installation still fails then I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Please uninstall the printer drivers from root level and then reinstall them again. To uninstall from root level try the following steps:
  • In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Once you have performed the above steps, download and install the drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2hwslhl

I sincerely hope this helps. Feel free to let me know how it goes. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi

Thank you for your reply.

Unforunately it still doesnt work. I got the exact same error. I even tried to install the Windows 7 64-bit driver, but to no luck. I guess I have to wait for HP to release a stable setup or just look for another brand.

Error 3

hp error 3.PNG

HP Recommended

@NeverLucky,

You are welcome. 🙂

I would suggest you a workaround by changing the compatibility on the drivers. Follow the steps below (Check the fig below for ref):

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them. (Including the HP solution center)
  • Restart your computer.
  • Go to http://hp.care/2hwslhl​​​​​​​ nd download and save the full feature driver file (Do not run the file, just download and save it to your desktop or download folder)​​​​​​​
  • Now go to the download location, right-click on the driver file and select “Properties”.
  • Under “Compatibility” tab, check the box which says “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select “Windows 8” (In fig, I have selected Windows 7, but make sure you select Windows 8).
  • Also, select the box “Run this program as an administrator”.
  • Apply and save the settings.
  • Now double-click and run the program.

This should help. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I  tried the steps you mentioned, but still no luck. I get the exact same error.

HP Recommended

Hi@NeverLucky,

Thanks for the response.

This seems like an operating system issue.

I request you to perform recovery and check if you will be able to reinstall the printer driver again.

Resolv_S

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi Resolv_S

Thank you for your response.

I followed your advice and it works now! Instead of using the reset option of the computer, I downloaded a fresh ISO from Microsoft and installed it. I also used the steps provided by MKazi and the installation finished within minutes.

Thank you HP support! Best wishes and a happy new year!

HP Recommended

Hi@NeverLucky,

Thanks for the response.

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved.

You can reach out to HP Support Forums for any support needs on your HP products in the future as well.

New year wish to your and Happy holidays

Resolv_S

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.