Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@rigatoni wrote:

@Chao_L wrote:

@der_be wrote:

I've had the same problem after updating from 11.3 to 11.5.1 and found a solution:

- Navigate to /Library/Image Capture/Devices

- Copy "HP Scanner 3" to your Desktop and alter the permissions for everyone and staff to "Read & Write".

- Delete the Original "HP Scanner 3" Plugin from Devices Folder

- Copy the "HP Scanner 3" with custom permission to Devices Folder

- Reopen Image Capture App

- Scanning should work now

Thanks @der_be for sharing the solution here. I see some users have resolved the problem using your solution.

I got some advice from @StretchMusic for this issue. Scanner 3 is an old outdated software. We suggest to uninstall it using HP Uninstaller and then install HP Smart or HP Easy Scan. Hope this works. Please let us know. Thanks everyone!

Chao

When I ran HP Uninstaller, it didn't touch "HP Scanner 3.app" or "HPScanner.app". Deleting those apps just resulted in a "The file can't be found" error like @Mdelvecchio had. And my printer's not supported by HP Smart and HP Easy Scan. 

After trying @der_be's solution, I tried opening a terminal and running these commands:

/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/HPScanner.app/Contents/MacOS/HPScanner
/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/HP\ Scanner\ 3.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ Scanner\ 3

> That seemed to fix it. I don't know if I had to do @der_be's thing first or if this works on its own.

...The first terminal command did nothing for me, since I don't have the "HPScanner" app package in my Devices folder. 

The second line I do have in my Devices folder (HP Scanner 3.app), but running this didn't seem to do anything, or change the permissions issue  😞

HP Recommended

THANK YOU so very much for the step by step walk through on this Zanato.  This fixed my problem! 

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly for me too! Thanks a lot 'Der'

HP Recommended

OP Needs to Close this Question...

It has been answered correctly by

MikeyTheChill_0-1628228515141.png

mdelvecchio

Using Terminal to input the following two commands as mdelvecchio described fixed it for me and two others before me so...

/Library/Image\ Capture/Devices/HP\ Scanner\ 3.app/Contents/MacOS/HP\ Scanner\ 3
HP Recommended

@MikeTheChill.

I think mine is also resolved when I run the command below using Terminal. By changing the Sharing & Permission manually and directly to the file HP Scanner 3 does not resolve the problem. 

One thing, I think it was @Rigatoni who provided the trick.

Thank you all for helping in coming with the solution. I just hope this is applicable to all who are affected by this quirk.

HP Recommended

Fantastic! solved, and thank you!!

HP Recommended

So, not sure if anyone has read the other pages but for me I had the same issue and all I did was delete HP Scanner 3 from the hard disk in the "library" then "image capture" then "devices" and put it back in the folder in that I "deleted" it from. Also I did allowed permission in system preferences in "security & privacy" then click "privacy" then go to "full disk access" then add "HP Scanner 3" by adding it using the "+" button. Not sure which action actually did the job but hopefully this makes sense and helps. Good luck!

HP Recommended

@MikeyTheChill wrote:

OP Needs to Close this Question...

It has been answered correctly by

MikeyTheChill_0-1628228515141.png

mdelvecchio

Using Terminal to input the following two commands as mdelvecchio described fixed it for me and two others before me so...

No, that wasn't from me. And it didn't solve the problem for me either. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 10.27.25 AM.png

This is an outstanding defect from the HP driver software. The device should work w/ the native macOS scanner UI in Big Sur, but continues not to.

HP Recommended

No it is NOT a defect in the driver.  The driver worked fine when it was released.  This is just Apple not bothering to test updates with 3rd party hardware when they push them out.  Microsoft did exactly the same thing back in March when they released an update to their print spooler through Windows Updates which broke Zebra printer drivers and several  other manufacturers printer drivers.  Eventually in a subsequent update they fixed this.

People who buy Apple products persist in believing that Apple is NOT a walled garden.  They are.  If you buy a Mac and don't want to have any trouble with peripherals then buy your peripherals from Apple or buy and use the ones Apple tells you to use.  And right now they are saying to use the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 you can buy it off their website.  Anything else and Apple doesn't give a tinker's dam about whether or not it works now or in the future when they release another update. 

Sorry to be harsh and I'm sure the Apple fanboys will attack me for speaking the truth but it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth to read people saying they applied an update from Apple and now it's HP's fault that Apple broke something.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue today and was able to resolve following these steps I found on Reddit:

• In FINDER, I went to "Mac HDD > Library > Image Capture > Devices".

• I right clicked on HP Scanner 3.app. and selected "Get Info"

• Look for the "lock" icon on that window and click on it to "unlock it" and make changes
  • I added my user id under Sharing & Permissions by clicking the + sign at the bottom and changed it to Read and Write.

That was it. Now HP Easy Scan seems to work normally.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.