Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I've had my HP Deskjet 6988 printer for years and always had it connected to my desktop via USB 2.0 cable. I purchased a HP Envy laptop with Windows 8.1 and want to connect the printer via my home network/Belkin router, as the USB 2.0 cable that came with the printer doesn't seem to work in the Envy USB ports for direct printing . The software disk didn't work in the laptop, so I downloaded the software and utility (print and scan) software for 8.1 from the HP website.

I ran the downloads, the setup wizard started, said "The wizard will connect to the internet and help you install the best available software for your printer." I clicked next and a window opens "Discovering device" and then another "Retrieving install device" then...nothing.  The wizard window closes. My setup manual is useless. It tells me to use the wizard on the software disk that doesn't work on my laptop (and is outdated and for the wrong OS anyhow, because it was for my desktop, which ran on VIsta.)

I did somehow manage to get the printer installed on the laptop - I can see it under the available printers.  And if I have an ethernet cord connected directly from the printer to my router, it will print. But if I unplug the ethernet cord, it will not print. I can't keep the ethernet cord plugged in for printing, because the router is in my living room, behind the TV and my office is upstairs. I would rather not keep my printer on the living room floor by our TV, so I really need it to work wirelessly! 🙂

My problem is - how do I get the printer added to my home network (Belkin  router). The wireless router is all set up and working - I'm actually using it right now to access the internet and post this message.

So, my printer is installed on my laptop. The driver is the most recent, intalled today from HP.com and I don't have a software disk to use for a setup wizard.

What are the next steps to connect my printer to the network, so I can print wirelessly? Hopefully, I've given enough information. I've read all of the help sections on HP.com customer service and none of them seem to tell me what to do.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Through a lot of trial and error, I actually figured it out  myself. I did a lot of jumping around, so hopefully I remember everything I did:

1) Install the printer driver using the disk or download.

2) Connect the printer to the router using an ethernet cable, which looks like a big phone cord (no need to connect the printer to your laptop.)
3) Bring up the laptop's system "search" on your laptop and in the search type "Network" then click on "Network" link to open it.

4) You should see the printer icon listed under your computers and other devices already found on the network.

5) Double click/tap on the printer icon and it will open the printer's "web page" in your browser.

6) Click/tap the "Networking" tab near the top of the scren.

7) In the left sidebar, under "Connections," click "Wireless" to open it.

😎 Start and use the wizard to enter your router information. (Make sure to give the printer a distinct name here, so you can distinguish it from any other printers listed on your laptop. For example,  I named mine "Deskjet 6988 Network")

9) Unplug the ethernet cord from the printer.

10) If your wireless printer doesn't show up in the list of printers when you go to print something, you have to add it:

11) Open the laptop system search again and type "Devices and printers" and click/tap the link.

12)   Click the "Add a Printer" link near the top. The computer will search for printers and the new networked printer should appear in the list (Hint: it wil have an IP address listed under "Address" column rather than a file.)

13) Add the networked printer and run the test print to make sure it works. Make it your default printer and can delete any of the other 6988 printers listed if you want to. 

14) You should now see your networked printer in the list of printers when you go to print something.

Hope that helps someone else some day! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Through a lot of trial and error, I actually figured it out  myself. I did a lot of jumping around, so hopefully I remember everything I did:

1) Install the printer driver using the disk or download.

2) Connect the printer to the router using an ethernet cable, which looks like a big phone cord (no need to connect the printer to your laptop.)
3) Bring up the laptop's system "search" on your laptop and in the search type "Network" then click on "Network" link to open it.

4) You should see the printer icon listed under your computers and other devices already found on the network.

5) Double click/tap on the printer icon and it will open the printer's "web page" in your browser.

6) Click/tap the "Networking" tab near the top of the scren.

7) In the left sidebar, under "Connections," click "Wireless" to open it.

😎 Start and use the wizard to enter your router information. (Make sure to give the printer a distinct name here, so you can distinguish it from any other printers listed on your laptop. For example,  I named mine "Deskjet 6988 Network")

9) Unplug the ethernet cord from the printer.

10) If your wireless printer doesn't show up in the list of printers when you go to print something, you have to add it:

11) Open the laptop system search again and type "Devices and printers" and click/tap the link.

12)   Click the "Add a Printer" link near the top. The computer will search for printers and the new networked printer should appear in the list (Hint: it wil have an IP address listed under "Address" column rather than a file.)

13) Add the networked printer and run the test print to make sure it works. Make it your default printer and can delete any of the other 6988 printers listed if you want to. 

14) You should now see your networked printer in the list of printers when you go to print something.

Hope that helps someone else some day! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi kmarshwi,

I can't thank you enough for this post.  I recently bought a new router and nothing I was reading either on the router web site/software or the HP printer support page had any information about how to get it to talk to my wireless printer.  I would NEVER have known to search on Network in Windows 8.1 and had no idea that my printer had a web page. 

I followed your step-by-step instructions and my printer and router are now on speaking terms. LOL  Your trial-and-error determination has kept me sane after just about giving up on being able to ever use my wireless printing again.  Many thanks to you for taking the time to figure this out. 

P. S.  It shouldn't be this hard. 

HP Recommended

You sir...or ma'am...are fantastic.

I have been USB tethered to this device for 4 years. Tried driver changes, browser changes, HP phone support...everything!

I saw your post. Had to try it a couple of times because a few things were not clear. However, your post did the trick.

HP sucks and their customer support. Let's say they hire you at $90K and get rid of 4 lousy script readers. No, hire you at $125K to train 200 tech support for a year.

Spoiler

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.