Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Colour LaserJet Pro M252n
Linux

My laserjet printer has started ghosting faint images of the sections of the black ink image, ~6.3cm down the page from the properly printed original part, and producing some vertical lines. [edit to add] The ghosting isn't all the way across the width, just on a few stripes down the page of which there are several, which are all black but faint enough further down that you can see the ghosting. The rest of the page is fine.

I looked into it already and realise it could be fuser or another of the rollers,  but its hard to get in and measure the diameter of the rollers to be sure which one. That gap indicates a 2cm diameter one (6.3/pi). Its strange that I haven't seen it happen for any other colours though, which makes me wonder if its related to the cartridge; which is a newer one (but I don't remember it starting to happen straight after I replaced it, can't swear on that). Can anyone confirm what cause is most likely with those symptoms, which rollers are that diameter / is it more than one thing? Thinking it might be harder to get it seen by someone for a while longer (in lockdown still in the UK). I've seen the ghosting on card and paper (and I set the print settings to tell it the weight, and buy stuff suitable for laser printers not the inkjet plasticised stuff).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A 63mm repetitive defect is always caused by a drum unit. There is likely either a spec of something on the drum or the drum has a tiny defect that is difficult to see. Cartridge replacement is likely your only option unless you find a small piece of label and are able to remove it without damaging the drum surface.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The circumference of OPC drum ( the green/blue one you can see on the bottom part of toner cartridge ) is exactly 63 mm, that means you probably have something on black toners OPC that causing you issue.

Remove black toner, turn it upside down and rotate OPC drum with your thumb fingers on the end of each side easily one whole circle and check do you have some smudge or something on OPC.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for your insight. I've previously looked at it and I have seen stripes of toner on it that I have tried to clean off with blue tac/tissue, I think that only helped temporarily. I am now checking again and the rings around the OPC drum line up exactly with the lines on one of the ghosted prints when I put the edge of the paper up against it at the right spot. So thats clearly where its coming from, but I don't know why its staying there, I don't see  any marks or damage other than the ink. As I turn it, upside down, I get fresh toner on it, unevenly.

HP Recommended

A 63mm repetitive defect is always caused by a drum unit. There is likely either a spec of something on the drum or the drum has a tiny defect that is difficult to see. Cartridge replacement is likely your only option unless you find a small piece of label and are able to remove it without damaging the drum surface.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.