Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Working in Windos 8.1 trying to print to 12x18 paper. Looking for optimum way to print this size paper.

Can't believe that there is no custom abities in windows or 12x18 paper support in a wide format printer.

Thanks,

Carlyle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good day Carlyle,

You can apply this method to suite your need:

Install Deskjet 9800 Printer Driver

1. Start
  2. Control Panel
  3. Device and Printer
  4. Locate "HP Officejet 7110"
  5. Right Click "HP Officejet 7110", choose properties
  6. Loof for "Advanced" tab
  7. Under "Driver:", click "New Driver..."
  8. PrintProperties_Advanced.PNG
  9. Click "Next"
  10.  Under "Manufacturer" Look for "HP", Model choose "HP Deskjet 9800"
  11. PrintProperties_NewDriver.PNG
  12. Click "Next"
  13. Click "Finished"
  14. Click "OK" to apply the setting
  15. Right Click on "HP Deskjet 9800 Printer" and click "Printing Preference"
  16. Locate "Paper/Quality", you shall able to create custom paper size from there
  17. PrintProperties_CustomPaperSize.PNG

Hope its help. 🙂

Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you. 🙂

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Good day,

You can try below document steps for creating the custom paper size:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03890386

Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up in the post that helped you. 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks Sanjiwolf,

I was very excited to see this link you provided after many hours of reading online about how to get my printer to print 12x18 ( a common Architectural and Engineering size)  - Sadly, it didn't work.

I followed the steps in the linked doc for win 8 and it allowed me to create the new size but it does not show up in the printer dropdowns... I tried restarting my computer and the new custom size is listed in the printer server modal window. So that's good but... the directions state:

Step two: Select the new custom paper size in Printing Preferences

1. In the Devices and Printers window, right-click or touch and hold the icon for your printer and choose Printing preferences .
  2. Click or tap the Paper/Quality tab, and then click or tap the Advanced button.
  3. Click or tap the drop-down arrow beside Paper Size , and then select the name of the custom paper size you created.

Well, if you proceed as stated, under Paper/Quality tab and then click the Advanced button there is nowhere to select the new paper size in my version of Windows...??? (Win 8.1)

I see the note: If the dimensions of the custom paper size are larger or smaller than the printer's supported sizes, the custom paper size name will not show up in the printer's Paper Size list.

Since I have the HP 7110 Wide Format Printer and it prints up to 13x19 it should work! Any other thoughts?

I'm still stunned that HP doesn't have such a common paper size in their driver for a wide format printer. Honestly, it's the main reason we bought the printer. Very frustrated.

Thanks for your kind attempt at help!

Carlyle

HP Recommended

Defining custom-size paper sizes is only available in the HP printing software in Mac OS X.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

@8lives wrote:

Defining custom-size paper sizes is only available in the HP printing software in Mac OS X.

Yeah. So what is up with that??? I'm so upset with HP right now I can't even begin to say...

I mean, please. A wide format printer that only works properly in one software environment???

Ughh!

What a waste of $$ this purchase was... Now I have to come up with some ridiculous workaround for something that should be a no brainer as an included setting in their drivers!!!

Unbelievable.

Carlyle - (formerly happy HP user)

HP Recommended

I have a work around for you to try.

Assign an alternate print driver in Windows 8:
Hold your mouse arrow in the lower right, or upper right, corner of the screen to bring up the Charms Bar.
If you are using a touch screen, you can swipe your finger from the right side to the left.
Select the Search Charm.
Under the search box, click on Settings.
In the search box, type Devices.
Click on Devices and Printers.
Right-click on your printer.
Select Printer Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click on New Driver.
Click Next.
Select HP from the first list.
Select HP Deskjet 450 (HP) the second list.
Click Next.
Click Finish.
Click Apply to save the changes.
Click OK to close the window.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks 8Lives,

I'll try that today. I'm using my 7110 Wide Format printer wirelessely. Is this driver going to allow that or will I need to go USB?

Thanks,

Carlyle

HP Recommended

I would use the USB port.

How old is your 7110?

HP Recommended

Brand Spanking new. Just bought it....

HP Recommended

Have you considered returning it and getting something that will allow you to create formats?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.