Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 4280
Unknown

Genuine cartridges installed but I am getting error message print cartridge(s) missing or not installed. What can I do?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@FedUp2000

Welcome to HP support community.

Clean the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts

1. Gather the following items to clean the cartridges and carriage:

• Clean cotton swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that will not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well).

• Clean, distilled, filtered, or bottled water. Tap water might contain contaminants that could damage the cartridge.

CAUTION: 

Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the cartridge contacts. These can damage the cartridge or the printer.

• Sheets of paper or paper towel to rest the cartridges on during cleaning.

2. Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the far right side of the printer.

3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent, and then unplug the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Lightly press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull it toward you out of the slot.

NOTE: 

Do not leave the cartridges outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes. If the cartridge is outside of the printer for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.

5. Inspect the cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.

6. Dip a clean swab or lint-free cloth into the distilled water. Squeeze it to remove any excess water. The swab should be only slightly damp.

7. Hold the cartridge by its sides, and then clean the copper cartridge contacts.

CAUTION: 

Do not clean the ink nozzles.

Figure : Clean the cartridge contacts

Illustration of cleaning the cartridge contacts.

Copper-colored contacts
    2. Ink nozzles

8. Lightly moisten another cotton swab with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the swab.

9. Use the swab to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer on the carriage slots.

Figure : The electrical contacts in the cartridge slots

Image: The electrical contacts in the cartridge slots
  10. Repeat these steps for the other cartridge.

11. Wait 10 minutes to allow the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts to dry.

12. Insert the cartridge back into the correct slot. Push the cartridge forward until it clicks into place.

Figure : Insert cartridge

Illustration of inserting the cartridge into the slot.
    • When installing the tri-color cartridge, insert it in the slot on the left.

• When installing the black cartridge, insert it in the slot on the right.

13. Close the cartridge access door.

14. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer.

15. Press the Power button to turn on the printer.

16. Try to print a page.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, we tried this but there is still the same fault.

HP Recommended

@FedUp2000

It seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

20190708_192010.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi, I have tried HP support but they do not accept the serial number shown in the attached photo as valid. I don't know what to do now. I am going to have to buy a new printer.

HP Recommended

The virtual help is useless and keeps going round in circles telling me I need to install firmware. My printer isn't attached to the internet. I am just trying to photocopy a document.

HP Recommended

The support won't accept the model number hp photosmart 428020190708_193702.jpg20190708_193732.jpg

HP Recommended

@FedUp2000

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.