Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hello @PainterDeb,

If you have completed ALL the troubleshooting steps listed here: Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage an...

If you complete all of the steps in the document above and the issue continues, my own personal recommendation, not one of HPs, is to use the solution offered in the following video.  I only suggest doing this if the printer is out of warranty; How to fix a HP Printer, not printing black ink and missing colours

Based on the comments, it looks like this will help :smileyhappy:

Although the printer might be out of warranty, if the issue persists, HP may be able to offer you something. Call our technical support at www.hp.com/contacthp/. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

HP printers generally have a 1 year warranty from their purchase date, you can verify the warranty using the following link if you would like; warranty check

I hope this helps.

If this resolves the issue, please let me know so we can help others who may be experiencing the same issue.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

The black ink is very light or not at all. I even put in a new ink cartridge and it still not working .

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same issue like everyone else here and just wasted money in buying new HP cartridge.

I did everything : the troubleshooting steps, the solution on the video etc.

And of course my printer is out of warranty and I'm worried about HP general quality product after seeing that everyone has the exact same issue.

I'm living in Montréal (Canada).

I wonder if HP did something with every other person before me in this thread.

HP Recommended

@HevnLgh wrote:

Hello @PainterDeb,

Although the printer might be out of warranty, if the issue persists, HP may be able to offer you something. Call our technical support at www.hp.com/contacthp/

Ok everyone, just don't bother with this printer, I just called the technical support today : all they could "offer" me was to buy an new HP printer at full price.

Well, you just offered me the chance to buy an other brand.

Thank you for this waste of time and money.

HP Recommended

i've had my hp 5514 for a few yr now and rarely used it enough to only replace the black once. So until tonight when i decided to print some stuff for vehicle servicing, of course the black ink was out and it kept giving me a fake cartridge warning. i opened up the top and looked under where the catridges sit, and there was a huge glob of black ink i scraped out with a knife. Jim lee could ink a whole Batman page with this mess! lol No wonder why my black was out. I also seen spray/spots all over the inside of the wall of the printer. No idea **bleep** caused that. 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem as the other consumer.  I have gone through 2 NEW cartridges and black does not print.  I ran the print diagnostic...all colors print except for black.  Do you have more advice?

HP Recommended

@sulew wrote:

I have the same problem as the other consumer.  I have gone through 2 NEW cartridges and black does not print.  I ran the print diagnostic...all colors print except for black.  Do you have more advice?

If you have followed all the HP web site information about cartridges for your printer, you need to search Youtube for your printer model number and add 'print head'.    Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Photosmart+5514+print+head

If you follow everything here and even search for more ideas and your still can not get the printer to work correctly...

Your printer is toast.

HP Recommended

Hi.  

I have the same problem as the others.  I have spent alot of money trying new cartidges and followed all of the recommended trouble shooting tests and still no black printing.  From all of the other posts, this appears to be a fundamental problem with this printer and HP should own the issue.   Please let me know if there is any fix or if I need to purchase a new printer.  My printer is out of warranty and I live in Bergen County, NJ.  any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Need assistance. I only have e-mail, can you help. ...... Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.