Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks so much - I'll try it and let you know if it works.
At this point, I'm about ready to throw it out the window and run over it with lawnmowe.

HP Recommended

I'm guessing you're right about HP senior leadership not wanting to admit to a problem, and provide a solution...  BUT, if they realized if they provided solutions for their failing HP products, that people would actually purchase more HP products because of how they stood behind their products, they would ultimately generate more revenue!

In my situation, HP did not provide an effective solution to my "Ink system has failed. Unable to copy, receive faxes, or print. Refer to documentation. Error: 0xc19a0035.  Turn power off, then on again."  [on my HP C7280]

So, I followed the provided instructions and received yet another error message: "Improper Shutdown. To avoid damage, use the On button to shut down [which I did!]. Do not use a power strip or wall switch to shut down."  [which I did not]... so HP did not help at all with providing after the sale service on my HP C7280 Photosmart Printer.

Needless to say, since HP has no interest in helping me resolve my printer issues, I contacted 5 different computer sales & repair service companies, and not one them recommended either fixing this printer or purchasing a new HP Printer.  They all said that they are nothing like the quality machines that they used to be, and it would be a waste of my money to buy a new HP Printer, as even their in-warranty service leaves much to be desired.   

HP Recommended
Couldn't have made that last statement any better. Am researching 'new brands' right now and it is boiling down to 'which that are NOT HP have Airprint in their printers and which models' are they?

Note to HP: This former follower/believer is one no longer . . . . . I said bye to Dell a few years ago and hello to Apple and haven't regretted a moment of it yet.
HP Recommended

It will not go away. Mine lasted 4 years, so I feel your pain. Your husband is right. You need to move on, as it will be real frustrating when every time you need to print something ASAP, you have to do the cartride removal/jiggling/cross-your-fingers dance. I wasted hours. However, I did do an upgrade with their trade-in program, mostly for green reasons and have been very happy with an HP 7510 (see message 36 of this thread - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/HP-Photosmart-C7280-Pump-Motor-Stalled...

HP Recommended
Here's an update a few days after the complete reset. The pump error has not come back, but I still get the ink error every time the printer sits idle for longer than 5 minutes. I can clear the error with the * + # keys and the 123 code. If you arrow through the menu, look for configuration, press Ok, then there is another menu for error resets. Follow the direction of pressing Ok to clear all errors, then cancel to get back to main menu. You may be able to print if you Ok through the ink error still on the screen, or you may have to turn off and back on.

This is my work computer and I was so frustrated with it earlier this week that my IT dept will be buying me another one. They said I shouldn't be wasting my time wrestling with it this much! Unfortunately, they are looking at another HP. I'm not sure that the others are any better though, I've had both Lexmark and Kodak at home and have had system issues with them as well.
HP Recommended

I've tried all the solutions proposed in the blog for this including the #* 123, the partial reset with #3, the full reset with #6 and the power drain with no avail.  I was about ready to throw my printer out the window because those error messages would not stop and I was unable to print (pump motor stalled, carriage jam or ink system failure).  I am so glad I didn't.  I watched this instructional video from HP and found out that all it simply was because of 2 pieces of paper stuck on the far right side of the carriage.  They were removed and it work like a charm!  Here's the link to the instructional video http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01423349

And, no, I'm neither an HP employee nor have any stakes in HP...Just a frustrated HP printer user who was about to throw my printer through the window

HP Recommended

Thanks to everyone for all of your helpful suggestions regarding troubleshooting steps to resolve my "Ink System Failure", "Pump Motor Stalled" and "Improper Shutdown" continuous error messages on my HP C7280 Printer.

I have tried all of your suggestions multiple times, but unfortunately, nothing has worked to resolve these issues with my machine!  It is now time to "bury"/recycle this printer and replace it.  However, due to the premature failure and short life span of this HP C7280 Printer, needless to say, HP brand printers will not be on the top of my list! 

HP Recommended

Great info on the reset ! I just did it last night and it worked! Thank you Thank You. I did the * and # at the same time, and then typed in 123 as the code. The printer didn't allow me to do anything afterwards. It just had some weird numbers and letters on the display screen. I simply turned the computer on and off after that, and everything reset. I can print again.

What a bummer you have to go through such a hassle after spending so much money on a device. Oh well, when this crashes and burns, I'm heading for another brand.

HP Recommended

I read all the posts about this particular problem and thought it was funny that I had gone through the same situation: same error messages, same horrible sounds, etc. Since I didn't want to spend money for a new printer since mine was only 3 years old with little use, I tried a combination of some of the post suggestions AND IT WORKED! So, first I took out all the print cartridges, shut the lid so the machine could register that something was wrong. Got the error message, put all the cartridges back in again and shut the lid. Got the paper jam message, "OK'd" through that. It made some noises...not as bad as usual and then got quiet. I then went to TOOLS and did a re-alignment and when that was done, back to TOOLS  to cleaned the print cartridges. Then, the moment of truth, I gave it a try. VOILA! It printed without a problem, without the horrible noises, without any fuss! I don't know how long it will last...but I'll do the same fix next if the problem arises again. I feel bad for the people that gave up and had to put out for a new printer. I'm sure glad I referred to this site and the posts. Thanks to those who took the time to post so I could fix my issue. 

HP Recommended

Why is this happening to a machine that is only 2 years old?  Has it happened to anyone else?  I have 2 other HP's and when I don't use them for a couple of months, they do not print.  I had to buy an Epson, and guess what?  When I returned 4 months later the Epson always worked.  I have HP stock.  I always loved HP products.  What the hell is going on?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.